Tuesday, August 18, 2009

nice run split

I knew that on Sunday the plan was two fold. I didn't have enough foresight to think about how I would play exactly into what The Wizard had hoped to happen, but a good coach knows his athletes, and The Wizard knows me. He's good.

All week I dreamt of that bike course. 14 miles of hard. Knowing the women would be sent 5 minutes before the men and having the leash taken off..... I wanted to lead that field the entire time. And I did (until the run.) Notice my theme here, notice where my mind was all week long..... on that bike.

Sunday morning my dream scenario was realized. I had a blazing sun, I had open road, I had a Police car leading me and I had 200 people in pursuit..... of me. I love racing off the front. I love the feeling of being chased.

I also wanted to make sure I still "had it". Yes, my training data showed that I am still the strong cyclist I have always been, but being held back and having to bike 2:45's for my last 2 70.3 races, when I am a 2:30 cyclist...... did leave me wondering. Do I still have it on the bike? I knew it was my one and only chance for the entire season to balls out, hammer down and let myself be chased.

It still gives me goosebumps.

The Wizard immediately pointed out to me that all I spoke of was the bike, after the race.

You still need to work on becoming a runner.

Oh crap, I thought, I played right into his hands because today he was all about proving a point. And a point he proved. So why did I run my training pace on Sunday? Why did I allow myself to be swallowed up? Why was I content with that?

Why was I cheering the other competitors on during those 3 miles..... this isn't a cheerleading squad it's a race mary! I was so focused on the bike, that I never brought my mojo to the run..... I never ever do.

Why did I run without my Garmin? Or a watch? I am not at the level yet where I can feel the pace. I could be running an 8 minute mile and think I was running a 6.... really!!!!!! That Garmin should have been on my wrist because had I realized I was running a half ironman pace in a sprint race..... you'd better believe a fire would have been lit under my ass.

I got it. I told The Wizard. I got it. Lesson was learned and thank goodness I learned it in a small race and not Clearwater. I have the bike data to prove I can bike..... I have the run data to prove I can run..... so why did I choose to only apply myself for the bike.... only get psyched up for the bike and run like..... a wimp?

That makes me smile this morning. The lesson is realized, the game is on. I am becoming a runner.

Keep your eye on me.... I had told Doctor Carl Johnston PhD. I have heard nice bike split all my life.... the three words I now want to hear..... nice run split.

That's why I am here. That's why I came to The Wizard and QT2. Not to remain a fly on the bike die on the run athlete, but to become the best triathlete I can possibly be. It begins with the space between my ears and the attitude that I bring to running. In the past 13 weeks I have fallen in love with running before. I have to get over the wow... I can't believe I am running so well feeling and take it on like I used to take on the bike. Make it my territory, not allow it to be the place where I get caught and smile and cheer.

Hurt on the run like I can accept hurting on the bike. In a race, when it matters. That's what I am here for. That's what I have worked for, and that's what I am going to reach out and grab.

No comments: