Sunday, August 9, 2009

living in the core

I have been getting tons and tons of questions about nutrition, anytime someone successfully loses weight people want to know what they are doing. Per request I am going to over the next few days post some of my food logs, just to give you an idea of how this all works.

It's not a diet per se, it's cleaning up your plate. I began taking this nutritional journey in January and as I began to work with Jesse he taught me to how to apply it to my life as an athlete. With that said, I lost 10+ pounds and have 10 to go, but more importantly I feel incredible. I lead a very busy life and I am not exhausted anymore. I will take that over weight loss any day!

For me this requires planning and tracking. I likely could do this on the fly.... but I am not good at doing things on the fly. I plan my degree, I plan my training, I plan my nutrition. I sit down on Sunday and plan out the week (knowing I will change things but I like to work with a frame). People have said "but it takes so much planning...." It might not take as much for you as it does for me. After a while you do begin to just naturally eat this way.

Another reason I plan and track is because Jesse will ask for a certain day.... randomly. And he is very aware of my eating disordered past.

Start with a few good references:

The Core Diet (article by Jesse)

The Paleo Diet For Athletes

The Ultramind Solution

Jesse and the QT2 Team do nutritional analysis and I believe anyone can get this service (shoot them an email). Check that out here. Another great resource that one of my athletes greatly benefited from was triathlete Beth Shutt and her services through The Athlete's Eutrophia. You may give me the argument that this costs $$....... but I think health is worth the investment. Locally I would recommend one of our incredible registered dietitians at Breathe.

You will greatly improve your health. I promise.

I don't count calories, carbohydrates (except for carbo loading pre race) and I don't count fat. Given that my diet used to fall into this pattern:

Carbohydrates 80%
Fat 10%
Protein 10%

Now it looks more like this

Carbs 40%
Fat 30%
Protein 30%

I follow a few simple rules.

1. four fruits per day
2. four vegtables per day
3 80 oz of water in addition to training fluid per day (that's 2.5 Nalgene bottles)
4. No foods over 55 in the Glycemic Index
5. No foods with more than 15 grams of sugar per serving.
6. Eat every 2-3 hours.
7. Use high glycemic foods (which for simplicity includes coffee.... even though it is not high glycemic) during workout windows: one hour before, and after (the after I will elaborate on later).
8. During training I consume 1 bottle of Power Bar Endurance per hour (24 oz / 3 scoops) and I eat either 1/2 PowerBar, 1 gel or 3 cliff blocks every 30 minutes..... for any workout over 30 minutes.
9. Recovery drink: Endurox or Chocolate Milk after the workout.

As I post my food logs I will explain further and elaborate. As you read you don't want to copy what I eat, you want to take the time to fit it to you. If you feel confused contact one of my references.

And..... if you are happy with the way you eat.... keep eating that way. I was looking for weight loss, and to replace the nutrients and minerals that my body had been deprived of for so many years. Even after 10+ years of recovery I am still putting myself back together. To halt the eating disorder was a 10 year journey. I couldn't have done this during that process. Now it's time.

This isn't a diet, it's a healthier way of eating and fueling your body. Jesse didn't invent it, he studied it and brought it into the athlete's life. He simplified it for me and helped me to understand it.

Through the week I will post 3-4 days. I will profile a longer workout day, about 4 hours. a short workout day 1 hour and a medium workout day, 1-3 hours. It will help to give you an idea of how much I eat and the variety of foods that I eat.

Feel free to shoot me any questions!

Over the past few weeks I have been told that I am a foodie inspiration to some people. To me that's more honorable than winning a race. I can get people off the couch. I have been doing that for years. If I can help you lose the 2 donuts in the morning, if I can help you figure out that dieting is a bunch of shit and eating healthy and eating to fuel your body is a better way to live...... that's the biggest compliment I can receive. That makes me so happy.

Here is to your health..... and your life!

2 comments:

Damie said...

one thing I really appreciate about you is your honesty and willingness to really share things with others. You share to the fullest- and that is so great. I will enjoy reading this week and learning!

runningyankee said...

ditto to damie's comments. really refreshing how you put it all out there the good and the bad and dont sugar coat. good luck with your training!