Sunday, April 15, 2007

April Snow Showers



April showers gave way to April snow showers this weekend here in upstate New York. I have since given up reading the weather reports…… I just email my friend Jennifer in Illinois and ask her what's on the way. She's much more reliable than the weatherman. And she can give it to me in terms of triathlete lingo, not gardening lingo.

If I could have scheduled a week to come down with Pneumonia, I could not have scheduled it any better than it happened. But don't call FTD for my get well flowers just yet; I am a frequenter of this illness. Typically I get hit with PNA 2 times a year, so with just once I am doing well! Plus by this time, PNA to me is like a cold, so I am used to it.

I took three days completely off (not in a row…. of course!) and slept a lot. I did walk 90 minutes a day with my little man through the forest. The weather was good and I knew I needed fresh air.

Being that it was rest week, it was also test week. Unfortunately I did have to shift most of the testing to the first week of this block, as the results were not a true reflection of where my fitness was at. In turn the tests were a definition of my ability while I am sick. Not too bad!

With that being said I am here on Sunday morning with a lot of rest behind me and a pretty significant build in front of me. We are heading towards an indicator race, the Gulf Coast 1/2 Ironman in Panama City on May 13th. I have a lot of new things to test out at this race…..

A new wetsuit…. Blue Seventy Helix

A new Powermeter

A new Garmin

New nutrition plan

New training plan.

The data collectors, (garmin and Ergomo) will be used to just collect data, so that we can plan training for Ironman Florida in November.

Nutrition is going very well, as I am on day 6 of being completely sugar free. I have even looked Kryptonite in the eye. My Kryptonite is the Cadbury Cream Egg. And I almost broke on Saturday.

There it was, round and chocolate. A small bite taken out of it the reveal the creamy interior……. left abandoned on the counter. Immediately I threw it into the disposal, and grinded it away. I am sorry Cadbury Cream Egg, our relationship is over.

So rest week has been sick week. I am glad I took the time to recover, because good things lie ahead.

 Mary Eggers

No comments: