Sunday, April 8, 2007

Rabbit Ramble!

Two days before Easter we traveled to Schoharie NY to spend Easter with Curt's Mom, and I signed myself up to run in the 4 mile Rabbit ramble! The Rabbit Ramble was a road race held in New Guilderland New York and about 150 runners showed up to run in the chilly spring. I was one of the very few that ran bare legged in the 25 degree weather. But the sun was shining and I felt excited.

I am at the end of a 3 week build which has seen me average between 16-20 hours per week. We've placed a massive focus on running, averaging just about 40 miles a week. So I came into this race a bit without proper rest. On purpose. Races like this however I like to call "indicator races." I use them as a speed workout, and to see that while tired, where am I at?

It was a late race start of 10 am, so upon arrival I completed a 2.5 mile warm up. It was definitely cold but I was not going to run in tights. It is spring darn it!

The runner crowd is much different form the triathlete crowd, which I always find amusing. I identified the girl who'd likely be in the top three, as she was boasting to some friends about her previous wins. She had long braids so I nicknamed her braids. The other girl whom seemed to be quite good was named "criss cross applesauce" by me in recognition of her cross crossed top.

At the start of the race Braids' friends came up to her laughing… "Who is the girl in the SKIRT?" and I realized they were talking about ME! You see a few years ago I received a sponsorship from Skirt Sports, and I have about 10 awesome running skirts. I tried one out and I have never worn shorts since. You would not believe how comfortable these things are. Now I am not one to frequently wear a skirt, or even wear pink so they must be comfy if they are on me. Apparently they have not yet made their splash in the Albany area, as I was greeted with a sneer from the girls.

It made me smile.

The race begins and I settle into a sub seven minute pace,. I knew there were some sloping down hills and equally sloping up hills. My goal for this race was to stay under 7:30 and to finish sub thirty minutes.

Even with all of my three week build on top of me, I felt good, I felt smooth. Best yet I was running within sight of Braids and Criss Cross Applesauce! Hooray!

You know you are deep in Ironman training when 4 miles seems short!

We hit the turn around and my pace was varying as the terrain was varying, but I concentrated on feeling good, because I did!

During mile three a man whom I named "The Wolf" ran alongside me and pulled ahead. He had good broad shoulders and hair that would make the hippie generation very proud. Rather than fight for position, I decided on a little strategery, and I tucked in behind him. I have never drafted in a run before but I decided to give it a shot. Sure enough at mile 3 when things began to get faster I was able to pass him back and for good. Later I would learn this guy runs 40 road races a year!

I finished within sight of Braids and Criss Cross Applesauce, 29 minutes flat, which is a 7:15 average mile pace. I was ecstatic! I could have gone faster, I felt no pain, and in fact I felt as if I was flying. It has been two years since I have felt this happy about running.

I finished up the day with 2 miles nice and easy and a spin on the computrainer at Curt's Mom's house.

One of the things I love about coming out to Schoharie, is the lack of technology out here. This town is so remote that there is not any internet or wireless phone. 2 days away from the hub always allows me to reconnect, recollect, reassess and then return to society refreshed.

With the winter weather we are getting again this week I am relieved it is a recovery week. Rest week… test week as we like to say around here. Then I will prepare for a final 3 week build into Gulf Coast, which is another indicator race. The taper for this 1/2 Ironman will only be about 8 days.

So the Rabbit Ramble, a success. Another block of training completed….. And here is to a week on Spring Break with Luc. Looks like we will be kicking our feet up a bit and drinking good hot cocoa.

 Mary Eggers

No comments: