Thursday, April 12, 2007

Priorities

Someone told me this week that I needed to rethink my priorities. Someone who has never taken the time to get to know who I am, but has judged me from the outside. I always find it interesting when we place judgments on people. Whether it be me, a politician, a movie star..... I find that when we decide we don't like someone, it is usually because we see something within that person... that we do not like about ourselves.

I have been guilty of that myself, and it is a hard lesson to learn. It's a very humbling lesson to learn.

But then, think of the most valuable lessons you have learned in your life. Likely they are not from the best days of your life. Likely they are from the most difficult days of your life.

Those might be the days you point out as mistakes, or as things you wish had never happened. Had they never happened though, would you be where you are today?

It's all connected. Everything holds an important lesson. Everything is placed within our lives for a reason, and everything leads to the next. The journey of life may not always be easy, and it is not supposed to be easy. It's too important to be easy.

I learned a very important personal lesson this week, and it is a lesson of how far I have come. While I have come a long way, I still have a long way to go. When you think you have arrived at the top of the mountain, you realize that you have only just begun the climb.

I learned that life is fragile. I learned that in an instant it can all be over. On my death bed what will I remember, what will I wish I would have done?

I am so very blessed that my amazing husband has allowed me to create a situation where I can be at home with our son. I am so blessed that every day when he gets off the bus it is me he comes home to. I am so lucky that during Spring Break I have no worries about child care.... he and I can take long walks in the woods and feed the birds in the park.

We can go out to breakfast every single morning. On the rainy days we watched a movie that we have seen a thousand times. We can swim until our fingers are wrinkled and we are frozen.

This is the stuff life is made of. It isn't about "one-upping" someone else. It isn't about tearing one another down and causing pain.

It's about living. Stopping and breathing the air and feeling the warm sunshine on your face. It's about feeling the feeling of a small hand in yours, walking side by side. It's about the warmth of a hug, and sweetness of a kiss to your cheek. It's about getting lost in childhood stories.

It's about just spending time together. No time constraints, no deadlines, no nothing.

These will be the days that Luc remembers. And these will be the days that I remember.

So if my priorities seem to need rethinking, then allow me to stand tall in the wrong. Allow me to stand firm in it. If you classify motherhood and allowing yourself complete indulgence in time spent with my child......

I hope that I am wrong forever.


:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: