Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Healthy Side of Things

Ever notice that your health takes a dip when you take a break, a vacation, or a recovery week? That's prefectly natural. Perfectly normal. And it is happening to me.

I am sick with pneumonia at the beginning of my recovery week, and it is all right. Normally I get Pneumonia 3-4 times a year. This year.... just once and the timing could not be better.

My husband and I have a common interest in natural health. He finds the article or the "new thing" and I research it. I love research, I love to read studies about nutrition, training, everything.

For example, did you know that Ritalin is more addictive than cocaine? Did you know that the company that makes Ritalin funds many of the studies that promote medication to treat ADHD?

For every study that promotes the use of medication for this, I can find three that condemn it. That are not funded by any medication company.

Same with nutrition, and I am one heck of a skeptic about things. Curt's recent "find" is Pomegranate, and grape juice. And he is actually right. I have found several studies showing that in the short term (there are not many long term just yet) pomegranite, grape juice and the acai berry are three of the best antioxidant fruits you can eat. They contain more antioxidants than blueberries and even red wine.

Speaking of antioxidants there are a lot of studies proving and condeming their benefits on overall health. Again there is not a lot of long term research here, so while we wait for that, I have decided antioxidants are good to include in the diet.

Did you know that in the United States nutritional supplements are not regulated by the FDA? I could grind up the grass in my backyard, put it into a pill and tell you it will help enhance your health. In the United States nutritional supplements need to only prove they are safe. It's why I have aligned myself with nutritional supplements that are held to European standards, per the reccommendation of Cyndi Weis at Breathe. Cyndi is one hell of a Dietician so if she suggests a product, you know it is quality.

So as we make the turn into April I have decided to launch part II of my nutriton plan. Part I was about making good choices, losing body fat, and gaining lean muscle. Part II brings me to the elimination of sugar.

Gulp.

So I have given up the white fluff, and I don't mean in candy. That's the easy part. I mean the hidden refined sugar in our daily foods. And I have given up ice cream.

Both of these are GONE until July 23rd.

I want to know that on July 22nd, I have done everything possible in training, in my emotional world and nutritionally to have the best chances for the greatest day of my life.

Want to feel absolutley amazing? Give it a try as well. Week one is hard. But by week 3 you feel balanced in every way. You will notice a difference in training. You will notice a difference in yur energy level, you mood, you actions towards others.

Putting the proper things into the body, nutrients, minerals, etc will give you the chance to have the best possible health, the best possible BMI and the best day of YOUR life!

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: