Monday, April 9, 2007

Dropping My Bag of Stuff

It's come that time of the season where I need to do some house cleaning. Where I need to take a look around me and what is in my life and begin to simplify. Specifically, what is surrounding me that is positive and fills me with good energy? What is surrounding me that is an energy drainer, an energy sucker?

Every time I head towards an Ironman I find the need to do this. This means distancing myself from people and things who radiate negativity.

We all have our bag of "stuff" that we carry around with each day. I tend to carry a lot in my little bag of stuff, and I do that by choice. In my bag of stuff are all the various roles I play in life..... Mom, Wife, Athlete, Entreprenuer / Coach , Yoga Teacher,Nurse. So in a sense, I have enough in my bag of stuff. Enough that a little annoyance or negativity just weighs it all down. When you are traveling 140.6 miles there is just no room for anything but good stuff in the bag.

Traveling towards 140.6 requires me to be in the best emoitonal place that I can be. I think that is the reason why my Montana trip will be the most important week of training for Ironman Lake Placid.

Finding that clear and positive mind gives me invincible strength. When I can nail it, and tap it, nothing can rock me off my base as I call it. No one can walk by me with a sneer or a remark and make any impact. It washes off of me. I am close to that place, and I am excited.

I can't say it is a cocky arrogance that I feel when I can tap it. It is a quiet, calm confidence. Confidence within myself, for myself. It is a place where I never worry about my competitors. Why worry about them? I wish them all amazing races and I wish us all to drive one another to our best days. If that's first or last it is our best that matters. Victory doesn't always mean winning.

Worry about someone else's race, worry about someone else's training, and you pull yourself away from your own true potential. Learn to fly. Learn to let go of inhibitions. Learn to let go of attempting to intimidate other people, let go of all of that which you hold in your bag of stuff.

Allow only good positive things to fill that bag of stuff and you will soon relaize that your bag of stuff is more like a balloon that guides you and allows you to fly.

:-) Mary Eggers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mar... that is one thing we love about you, your ability to put the mental and the physical together. a great athlete is many more than the sum of her parts! we can't wait to watch you at the ironman~

Anonymous said...

Yes, I totally agree w/ this. And, it is NOT easy...b/c we all carry around those friends, thing in our lives that are not positive...but we do so out of guilt and loyalty. RIGHT ON, Mary! :) Jen