Friday, April 6, 2007

One Door Closes......


Those of you who know me, knwo Kelly Bergkessel. She's my training partener, my travel buddy, and we talk triathlon like regular people talk football. Conversations revolve around Lisa Bentley, Norman Stadler, what we think of Gordo's latest entry..... we are the biggest Gordo Fans there ever were. If we could, we would be President and Vice President of the Gordo Fan Club.

We've trained thousands of miles together in various states. Kelly used to live here in Rochester you see, and she's been in Connecticut the past few years. Growing tired of being in the same place, she has longed for soemthing new and different.

And that time has come. She's moving to Colorado, Boulder to be exact at the end of the month. She's got a better job and she will be joining the gym where Dave Scott teaches Spinning. She'll likely get into the Masters team where Simon Lessing swims. And I am sure she will be in heaven. I am trying to convince her of coaching, and she's emailed with Gordo about going to work for him someday. Now that he is based in Boulder, that becomes more of a reality.

I am really sad. really sad. We've shared a lot and we still will, it will just have to be a little further. Both of my Ironmans I ahve done with her. She's seen me thorugh some great races and she's seen me through some bad races.

So for me the door closes in a way, as a new one opens for her. This is where she wants to be, and this is where she needs to be.

So best of luck my dearest friend Kelly B! And I smell a week long training camp at altitude in 2008

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: