Monday, May 12, 2008

Gulf Coast..... Roast..... 1/2 Ironman


I was the girl smiling today. In the bathing suit with the sunshine on it. Seemed fitting this morning as Marit reminded me that my camp HTFU nickname was Miss Mary Sunshine.

So that was me. And ironically that's what I got called all day long on the course here at the Gulf Coast 1/2 Ironman. I had a ton of fun. I felt so lucky to even be on the starting line.

I rate this race as a B+ for me. Not my best time but we are getting there. This was a B priority race for me (some people wonder why people have B races…. why travel so far for a B race…. do you know my camp HTFU sisters? That's why). The goals were pacing pacing pacing. I am also not strong on flat hot courses. So putting myself right on the sun was the idea. Last year was not a great experience for me, and this year went a bit better!

The swim went fine. I felt great and it was fun. Knowing the physics of surfing helped me time my strokes and breathing with the great waves we were so lucky to have!

Onto the bike I was feeling very good. I had to stop in the beginning because I dropped my nutrition, a little bumpy road and a forgetful athlete, need to make sure those cages are secure. I met up with a fellow Splsih suit wearer and when I had to stop the second time, to secure my front cage…. she screamed at me "No Stopping EGGERS!". It was nice to make a friend out there. I rode pretty much alone; the only woman who passed me was Atlanta's Amy Kloner, eventual winner and pro duathlete!!! (might want to think of that triathlon pro card Amy!) We've emailed a lot but never met face to face. She introduced herself and for a minute I thought I would hang with her.

Pacing goals, I reminded myself, hung my head and stayed back. I rode a bit beneath my wattage goals, and I felt great. Nutrition was spot on. The wind was fair. The air was hot and for now the sun was hiding. The fog signaled to me humidity was present.
Onto the run things felt good and hot. I had to hold myself back the first 4 miles and then…. my Garmin battery died. Oh well, I thought, I will have to run this on feel. I didn't even have a watch with me.

I took so much salt during this whole race that I was feeling very confident in my electrolyte status. I hit coke at each aid station. I kept cool. I felt that I was on pace. After the race I realzied the pace I had found was my Ironman Pace. Good news for IMLP. I felt excited about that. If all fails me at IMLP I can find the pace.


I could have gone faster. Hooray for Mooseman! And I wont' forget to charge the Garmin or make the rookie mistake of not wearing a watch!

I didn't quite feel like I would be able to run harder at mile 10. I felt a bit foggy, which was strange. At eighty six degrees it may have been hotter than this New Yorker was ready for.

The entire time I was waiting for Ashley to pass me on the run. She's a much stronger runner than I am and I had calculated she would catch me at least by mile 10. When I didn't see her I felt worried. Little id I know she was pushing through some really tough nutritional issues. I have been there, it's not fun. Part of me wanted to turn around and wait for her. She'd have killed me if I did that. I prayed that she was okay and that I would see her soon.

Exactly at mile 10 someone turned on the sun. I walked 2 aid stations to get cool. I took more salt. My muscles felt fine, my head just felt foggy.

I crossed the line 10 minutes faster than 2006. But well off my PR. We knew that coming into this, Lake Placid is the prize. I will admit to initially being disappointed by that.

Then I remembered a few things. How lucky I am. To arrive at a staring line, to be healthy enough to compete, to have the people in my life that I have.

I thought about Marit. She stood on the sidelines all day long. She's been Sherpa-ing us around all weekend. Marit would take my "not a personal best time" in a heartbeat. She'd be doing anything right now to be on that race course.

A man drowned in the swim today. The story is not clear now but someone started this race who did not live to see the finish.

Puts things into perspective, eh?

So I will take it. I know my better times are coming later. I know my day is coming. I know I am getting closer. I know I just have to believe.

I felt happy all day long. I felt in control and I dealt with the heat as best I could. As a test of fitness I think we did pretty well. The coming month is going to be hard. I am ready, I am willing and I told Coach T to lay it on me!

8 comments:

BreeWee said...

I am so happy your season is coming together so well! It must be the smile and the awesome girls you have with you!

By the way... I totally think it is fine to travel far for B races, even C races!

Unknown said...

Mary,
congratulations on a great race and an superb attitude. As always, your approach to triathlon and life is inspiring. Way to go!
-Ness.

Cindy Jo said...

I have that same pink leopard Splish suit!!! Too bad I'm not fast like you though...

Great job. Next year I think I will be there, too!

Sounds like you are RIGHT on target for a great IMLP.

Pedergraham said...

Mary:
Wonderful race report and I'm so glad that you had FUN and that you are ticking off the things that will get you to where you want to be at IMLP (where I will be at the top of Papa Bear waiting to cheer for Ms. Mary Sunshine!). See you at Mooseman!
-Danielle

Anonymous said...

Mary, Awesome race in PC! I am so glad you had a great time with the girls too!!! LP is going to be SUPER! Jen H.

Ryan said...

Mary,
What is more GAY, me adding you to my favorites, or after I got back from talking to you, I made Sangria?

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

I'm getting my pink splish speedo made with HTFU on the back. . . .

and "plum smuggler" on the front!

Cy said...

Nice job this weekend. Sounds like you had a great time.

I just ordered my first Splish suit. You girls look too cute in them, and I had to join the party!

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Great race! You are going to be fantastic at IMLP.
A man drowned? That is so scary, and so sad. I need to learn more about the physics of waves and what to do. I actually prefer to just avoid those kinds of swims!
BTW - I'm one of Jen's athletes. She hates that I hate swimming.