Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Recap


For some reason I am am having the hardest time summarizing the whole weekend. I can say it in one word..... incredible. Everyone learned something about themselves out on that course. Including me.

My biggest mistake of the weekend..... was putting myself into a great big hole for a girl I know. It ruined me. She was riding with intentions of skipping part of the course. I had stopped to check on another of my athletes who had a flat and my girl rode on. To encourage her to continue on I made an epic ride pushing wattages I had no business being in.... to get her nutrition and to give her motivation.

And I paid for it for the next 2 days.

Sometimes you just have to let people figure things out for themselves. And I should have let her figure it out for herself. Next time I will.

Everyone else did do just that. How about Ed.... an amazing athlete with Type I diabetes. The guy figures it out. He does not sit around with a "woe is me" attitude. Blood sugar issues held him back on Day one.... but he made a comeback on Day 2 and Day 3.... with strength and fortitude and determination that downright frightened me. If I put myself in a hole for anyone it should have been Ed. At least he would have appreciated it.

But he didn't need it.

This is the stuff that Ironmans are made of. Riding in the rain. Getting dirty, muddy, drenched and blown by the wind in every single direction. Saturday brought the worst conditions I have ever ridden IMLP in. We got blown, rained on, froze, fried..... and every single person came out stronger because of it.

Everyone figured it out. That's what was important.

Sunday our long runs brought much better weather and terrific attitudes. The longest part of the weekend was behind us and the sun was shining. Still cold but at least we had sun.

Nathalie, Chris and I stayed later for another 2 hour ride. It was worth every minute of it. I am so incredibly proud of this team. for who they are. Who they have become and who they believe themselves to be!

1 comment:

Wingman said...

Thanks Coach :); you got one tear out of me on that post.