Thursday, May 15, 2008

Looking Back

Rachel this picture is for you.......


One week ago today I was 30,000 feet above the ground flying to Panama City Beach. Isn't it funny how you wait for a trip to come and then suddenly you travel through the Star Wars warp speed tunnel and you are sitting here on the other side. Wondering ..... did I even go at all?


The sand in my hair confirms.... I was in fact at the beach and running through waves.

You must read Ashley's recap of the weekend. It might be the funniest thing ever in the world!

You must also read my new friend Ryan's report.... he might be the funniest person ever in the world. And by the way Ryan you are a member of HTFU! Ryan confirmed for me that I am not the only one who has thought God was speaking at the finish line of an Ironman, Some people think Morgan Friedman is the voice of God... but for triathletes it's Mike Reiley!

And Amy Kloner has no blog........ WTF??? What I can say about her is that each conversation I had with her.... she speaks in a voice that is highly excited and a step above talking and a step below screaming.... even when she's giving a post race interview from a wheelchair! I might be the same if I won the race to though..... and for the record remember that picture of her on the cover of USA Triathlon with "the helmet" .... it looks much better on her in person.


All weekend long people kept asking the three of us how we met. We'd look at each other and chuckle...... the Internet..... blogging..... I almost wanted to say on Match.com!!!!!

Does it really even matter how we meet? We find each other's blogs, we get to know each other through our writing, we become friends. We knew each other before we ever met. How lucky is that? So very lucky.

I am so very lucky that I could travel far from home to a race I went to completely alone last year. I came home this year with even more friends than I went with.

I learned that Marit is the all in one. from weather to fish to no there is not a second floor in Target..... you need to know something..... she's your woman. At one point from our balcony she spotted a stranded Manatees and she flew out the door of the wind tunnel (our hotel room) to save it. She got to the beach and it was already saved. But that's Marit for you. She'd do anything for anyone. That kind of Karma comes around.

I learned that Ashley really loves to be the queen of skank. I think it has always been her secret dream. Best part of the weekend was when we were practicing our open water starts and she looked at the ocean.... muttered fuck it..... and ran into the waves like she meant it. I learned that Ashley loves the life and the experience and it reminded me.... why did I travel here alone last year? Races are meant to be shared with friends and I swear I will always remember that.

My abs still hurt from all of the laughing I did this weekend.

We have decided that there will be a fall meeting of HTFU. Las Vegas Baby and 1/2 Max Nationals. I have absolutely no desire to go anywhere that does not involve ocean..... but if my sisters are going and I survive Ironman #5 .... you can count me in.

So look out Vegas..... the Hooters girls are on our way this October!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy K sent me her RR and yes, she's been that excitable every time I've talked to her. Of course, she always seems to be WINNING, which is a pretty exciting thing. Maybe I'll ask her if I can get permission to post her race report on her behalf, then you can link to it.

P.S. Nice job at Gulf Coast!!!

Amy Beth Kloner said...

You are a freakin RIOT Mary. Please don't remind me of THE HELMET. Did you even see that rant on Slowtwitch? How humiliating. . . but freakin' hilarious, I gotta admit. I would make fun of me, too.
As for the blog... i will, I will. Soon. And making friends through Blogger is definitely more legit than match.com. ;) PS: Let us know what happens with Delta. Based on your post, I will not fly Delta anymore if I can avoid it. So frustrating... sorry that happened to you. xoxo- amy

Ashley said...

Queen of skank here... MARY I miss you!!!! Gulf Coast became a fun vacation w/ girlfriends rather than a stressful race. I mean, I enjoyed the race - but had WAY more fun w/ you and Marit. YES that is what it's about.

rr said...

MECCA!!! I'm bowing in front of my computer..

I hate that time warp.. counting down the days to go and then bam, did I ever even go?? I'm glad you've found such wonderful friends through your match.com experience ;)

Hmm, halfmax, when is that?