Thursday, May 1, 2008

Fiesta!


Last night was our Mexico New York party at my yoga studio, Breathe. 30 of our yoga friends are actually in Mexico in Maya Tulum at a retreat together.... so those of us who stayed behind decided to do a little celebrating ourselves. We dressed up, we played Mexican music, we even threw a beach ball around the room during class.

Here is Adrian in bow with her beach ball:


I am lucky to have an assistant in my classes, and his name is Mike. While I teach Mike walks around and does adjustments on our students (he is also a teacher too!). Here is Mike and I at Ben and Jerry's after class:
It was an awesome class. Everyone showed up. I don't mean that they physically walked through the door, but that they showed up on the mat last night.

100% everyone was there. Present.

Some might say that this was "the inappropriate" yoga class. Hell lots of times I am called the inappropriate yoga teacher. That's why I love to teach where I teach. At Breathe we come as we are. Nothing false, nothing pretentious, I am allowed to be exactly who I am. A little muddy, always happy, and not afraid.

Yoga doesn't have to be all serious, all consuming, all involving. Heck, neither does triathlon!

We celebrated last night by heading to Ben and Jerry's after class. Yoga people eat ice cream? Yogis are regular people too. And if we are going to have ice cream we are going to have the real deal.

Class ended in huggs and high fives with a very sweet version of savasana and a very special Namaste!

Here is about half of the class, after class at Ben and Jerry's! Thanks to Wendy (pink sweater) for all of the props, and thanks to all who came! Especially Jen the new girl... who had never been to Breathe before! What an intro!


4 comments:

wiley said...

The humble Warrior did not mention that she bought the whole class ice cream at Ben and Jerrys. Must of cost a small fortune, Mary!!!!! We love you and your crazy yoga classes. To me they are perfect just the way they are-a kickass workout, a great sense of humor and a compassionate teacher who shares her knowledge, expertise and compassion every class. Last night was soooooo special and feel so lucky to be a part of the community at Breathe and one of your students!!! Thanks for taking all of us South of the border!!!!Adios! Wendy

Anonymous said...

You guys are very lucky, Mary! That class looks great and SOOO much fun. Glad your prep for GC is going so well....! You are going to have a great race and enjoy the sun! Jen H.

Brooke Myers said...

Oh how I would have loved to partaken in your yoga class (what fun) and yes I would have eaten some icecream too (I wouldn't have been able resist)!!

If I am ever in the area I will look you up for sure....

rr said...

I want to come to your yoga class!! I always end up giggling through the serious stuff (and falling over - zero balance).. Sounds great!