Monday, April 20, 2009

don't ask...... don't tell

One of the contributing factors to my inclination to work with Coach Jesse was his attention to nutrition. As a girl with an eating disordered background this is the part that coaches stay away from. But we know that optimal body composition is ...... optimal in competition. Pounds equal free speed if you are higher than idea. If you go lower than what you should....... lost pounds add time.

It's a fine balance. One I am very willing to walk. Analyze me, pinch me, prod me, tell me what to eat.

One of the first questions I was asked by friends was...... what if Jessee tells you that you must give up coffee?

Okay, first of all I am going through a revolution. New terminology, new planning systems, new philosophy, a higher emphasis on things like nutrition than ever before. These next 2 weeks are not vacation weeks, they are orientation, preparation, and information exchanging.

I am not going to go ahead and be stupid and ask if coffee has to go. Come ON! Give me some CREDIT!

We will follow the don't ask..... don't tell policy.

For the record however..... I shall state that right here....... if Jesse says "Mary the coffee has to go."........ then the coffee has to go.

I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know.

But what is it worth to you?

Why hire the fancy pants coach who is willing to take you on mid season and bring back a struggling athlete? Why lay myself on the line in so many ways if I wasn't willing to do whatever I needed to do to get myself back again?

What is this comeback worth to me? Is it worth giving up my dark roast?

Yes. It is.

But we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I have several more bridges to cross during the next 2 weeks. Like getting my computrainer to communicate with my laptop again (serial port to USB..... !!!!.....!!!!!......!!!!!). Ergomo is downloadable again. Garmin smooth functioning. Heart rate monitor on both of these devices..... not so happy. Downloadable HRM on the way. Note: the more information your coach can have about you, the better. It's one thing to say "Stayed in HR zone 3" it's another thing to show it.

I don't care if I have to wear a downloadable leash. This is what I am here for.

It will be a busy two weeks.

PS: On the topic of nutrition, I have a favorite breakfast to share!

Steel Cut Oats .... organic !(I make a big batch on Sunday night and grab a scoop every morning)

topped with:

1/2 banana
organic cranberries
walnuts
a dash of cinnamon
flax seed

A super duper power packed breakfast to fuel any athlete!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with QT2 - Jessie is a great guy (old high school friend of mine) and his program is outstanding! He'll bring you places you never thought you could go!

Kim said...

hehehe i leave QT2 and you join them! crazy world miss mary! jesse doesnt love athletes drinking coffee, would prefer green tea, but i kept on with the coffee. then again im not a ridic athlete so who knows if he will make you quit or not ;) best of luck, im sure you will kick butt!

Marit C-L said...

Great post Mary - and I totally see your point (and agree) with the coffee. It won't be fun...but...well, that's what dreams are made of!

Ohhhhh - the breakfast sounds and looks great! Lately I've been doing oatmeal with wheat germ + 1 cup of greek yogurt and dried cherries. Yum!

PJ said...

I have a feeling you will love the QT2 diet. I started with them this winter (just the nutrition coaching) and fell in love with it. I feel better than I ever have with this diet - lean but healthy. It's good stuff.

Like Kim said, green tea is highly suggested but there isn't a definite "no coffee" rule. I tried...I really did but inevitably reverted back to coffee. Green tea just isn't the same. Jesse is my coach's nutritionist as well and judging by the amount of coffee I've seen him drink, I'm pretty sure he wasn't forced to give it up either.