Monday, April 6, 2009

still not home yet

Greetings from the Atlanta airport! I had a nice cushie bed last night and a good night of sleep. I am still sick however. After visiting the Aero Clinic and a little Zofran I feel like I might not hurl for a good 20 minutes.

But sick or not as I look at my data I am so pleased. I hit my paces both on the bike and the run (while I was running). Anyone who has to stop every mile or so to empty our knows how both frustrating and exhilarating it is!

I feel very excited as I am planning my next block and reviewing the race. It's so early to race but a great opportunity to test things out.

I thought the race was incredible. Sure it can be annoying to have to take a bus here and a bus there. Their buses were tour busses and it was all really well organized. Except for post race. The bus took you from the finish to transition and then you were on your own.

There are a lot of cabs around, and they are good prices.

This race had over 3,000 people in it. I don't know about anyone else but I saw nor did I experience any drafting. There were a few small rollers and some wind that broke things up....... I only saw one marshall...... but kudos to the race director for planning the waves the way he did and to all athletes for ..... riding legally.

See... it really can happen!!!!!

I would definitely recommend this race. I would stay in the French Quarter..... rely on cabs, and ship your bike to Bike World. They made everything so much easier. They have good rates and good service. And they are so nice.

It's tough to do a race in April but it felt so good to get outside. It felt great to be kissed by the sun and this event gave me some good data to plan from. Early enough that I can make a few minor changes yet stay on the same track.

After all 7 months till Clearwater.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job toughing it out while being sick! Awesome race Coach Egg!

ps - I'm actually tappering! Although that probably just means I'll spend more time in the pool than I should :)