Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Orientation

"Starting" in two weeks...... to some seemed like a wait. Thank goodness I have this 2 weeks to get ready. 2 weeks of endurance work (whew). Two weeks to get things working, in line, downloading, getting used to a new work schedule (no more nights), get new run shoes, bike is home and back together, read read read read read.

There is much to be done.

I told Coach yesterday that I feel like I am a third string football player allowed to join the Steelers midseason. Like the rest of the team will look over their shoulder and say..... "who's this girl?". And I am the girl so honored to just have the chance and the opportunity to be able to play on the same team with such a group of fantastic athletes.

This is a chance I will not blow. This is a chance I am taking so damn seriously. You don't get these kinds of opportunities every day. And while we are targeting a good day at Clearwater in November..... my attention had been turned to 2010 and beyond.
As I was gathering data as to where I live, what is available to me.... I realized just how lucky we are here in Rochester NY. Yeah, we are a small city close to the City with a gigantic football problem (Buffalo, my hometown)..... we have a lot of things to do here.

In the summertime I have:

Open water swimming..... 2 great lakes 20 min away

From my doorstep I can run 100 miles of flat (run trail) or 100 miles of hills depending on whether I turn right or left.

From that same doorstep I can bike those 100 miles of hills, or drove 20 min north to ride completely flat.

I have an incredible Masters Team and a lot of pools.

I have 50 miles of hilly trails 4 miles form my house.

I have my choice of hills for hill repeats.

3 outdoor tracks within run distance.

Good roads. Good people. Good community.

In the winter there's just as much to do: skiing; both X country and downhill, snowshoeing, sledding, snowboarding.... you name it and we've got it.

As we are shedding the winter and spring is upon us...... I remembered that everything comes down to what you make of it.

Including this opportunity I have been given. AS I work through the orientation process and am getting things ready I can't tell you the load of stress that's been lifted from me. Just from managing my own training.

I tend to put myself last in the line of my athletes, in terms of reviewing, analyzing, etc. I tend to put myself last in terms of taking care of things. Don't we all (I know, call be a MARTYR!)

As I work through this process and look at where I have come in relationship to where this is headed I can't help but smile and feel really good about it. Easy to say when the real work has not started yet. We have a lot to do. Testing, analysis, planning, and most importantly executing.

But like any good rookie I have my ears open and my mind clear. This isn't my system, this is Coach Jesse's system. Like any good rookie I am absorbing and learning all that I can. Teach me, work me, show me what I need to do to have my good day in Clearwater. I think we have all watched this train crash enough times.

It's time to watch it run smooth and run fast.

Before I get to that however...... I am in the back of the classroom that's full of superstars.... soaking up every single minute of it!

3 comments:

runningyankee said...

i'll just remind you that 2 of the current steeler greats, harrison and parker, were unknowns and probably got those same "who's that guy" glance.. but look at them now!!! and i bet you will follow :) good luck with everything.

Marit C-L said...

Mary - You are ON YOUR WAY!!!!! Awesome!You're going to do great... and yes, it will be tough and challenging at times. But you wouldn't have it any other way :) Sounds like a LOT to be thankful for where you live... :)

Karen Wilson said...

It's awesome to read about your new coach and plans- I am so excited for you! I can't wait to follow your progress this summer :).