Saturday, April 4, 2009

Today was pre race prep and hurricane learning day. In fact I am so interested in the Hurricane relief effort that I keep forgetting what I am here to do, race. I'm here with my teammate Donna, who's friends Kirsten, Ammo, Christian, and gang have taken me under their wing.

I have known these people for 2 days and feel like we've been friends forever.

Kirsten by trade is an architect but came to N.O. three years ago to help with the hurricane relief. She showed us pictures and diagrams which helped me to understand the magnitude of what happened here.

Because really guys.... we have no clue. we really don't. Where I am in the French Quarter was not touched. And N'Orleans is a lot bigger than the FQ. Its a small drop of what this place is.

Today at the swim start I understood exactly what a levy was, took pictures and Kirsten educated us on how things were flooded as opposed to what we think we know.

We know nothing.

The bike course will take us through where they haven't gotten to in terms of relief. So during the race I get to actually see it with my own eyes. I won't be able to take pictures. But I will see it.

The spirit here is about rebuilding and regrowth. The people are excited to have the race in town and I am signing up for 2010 here. For sure.

As we were driving back to our hotel I keep thinking about how one of my dreams is to go to Haiti and do some work there. I think that before I can do that.... I need to take a look at what's happening in our own country. I saw pictures of what happened to schools. What if I focused my efforts on helping the children of my own country before in another country? I can't express enough..... what happened here is above and beyond what we know, or what we think we know.

I want another week here. I feel there is a way I can help. It's made the wheels in my head to begin to turn. There are things I can do in places like this.

OOOpsss..... I am here to race. It seems so darn insignificant right now but I am here for a reason. We have 3,000 athletes descending on a City that needs us. With 3,000 athletes it means family and friends coming along which means hotels and tourism and economy boost.

So while I am just here to race my dollar being spent in the streets here is helping these people. They are appreciative of our being here.

New Orleans seems to be a very grateful city.

Donna and I are checked in. We swam in the Lake. We are heading to bike check in.... in about an hour. Then to dinner.

My biggest stressor tomorrow is making my fight. It will be a damn miracle if that happens.

Till then I shall be signing off. It's time to shut down and get ready. Because while I am here for a race.... my dollars here and the fact that we are all here are appreciated more than any city I have ever been to.

That's a great feeling.

Tomorrow will be a great day. For all of us. We get to swim bike and run through the ruins and finish in the rebuilding.

Many of our lives are like that...... aren't they? At some point we have a storm blow through. And we rebuild. And we shine brighter. I know that in the past year or so that's happened for me.

Maybe it has happened for you.

Just like it is happening here in New Orleans.

3 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Mary - it has happened to me! I'll be thinking of you and Donna ALL DAY tomorrow - sending you as many good vibes as I can! Rock it, enjoy it, love it, live it - you'll do AWESOME!!!!

Karen Wilson said...

I was just in NO for a conference, so this really resonates. I was so struck by the optimism and resilience of the residents- cheers to you for your committment to helping. And good luck in the race!

PJ said...

Go get 'em, Mary! I'll be thinking about you today.