Sunday, April 5, 2009

quick recap

Greetings from N'Orleans!

Lets start with the good news:

Despite what you might think.... I had a pretty darn good day. I had a good swim, a conservative bike, and I had a great run. I nailed my run pace when I was running. Its when I was walking that it screwed up that run split!

I am not sure if it was because I have been sick, I have a dose of heat stroke, or just.... because but the nausea I have been feeling the past few days remained with me on the swim, bike and run. The run was hotter than hot. I had to walk a bit at each aid station to vomit, and get water and ice on me.

Honestly, other than that.... my legs felt great! I was running my running pace! I was so happy about it and then mystified why I was getting sick.

I am so glad I came here. I really thought this race was exquisitely done. The finish in the French Quarter was the best I have even experienced. SERIOUSLY. They aligned their busing schedule beautifully.

After the race it wasn't so great. Donna needed to get to rollwdown (Thank GOD I have my 70.3 spot)..... and I needed to get to the airport. Our friends were in the French Quarter. I gave my bike to Bike World (Incredible people) and hopped into a cab with my bathing suit on and some shorts.

Arrival at the airport was less then glamorous. And smelly. Seriously.

I made my flight, but it was delayed which delays my connection in Atlanta. So tonight I get to stay in a cushie hotel in Atlanta, enjoy a business class ride home..... tomorrow at 3pm. and I have my airfare to Clearwater.

Honestly I don't care where they put me or fly me because I am sick still. Here in the airport with a raging sunburn (I GLOW) I have overdosed on Dramamine... and Excedrin...... so tuck me in to a comfy bed in a hotel tonight and let's call it a night. After what I have been through, why is a little flu virus kickign my ass?

Did I not foreshoadow this? I should have never bragged about my health!

More detailed report to come tomorrow. Way to go everyone....... AMO, DONNA, KIRSTEN, I was so Happy to meet you Kerri! And to all our girls over at Oceanside.... RR, Marit the Kona girls, Jen H..... girl we must have the same thing.... and a big one to Mrs. Beth Shutt..... I you not only finished, you freaking rocked it and you have rolled right over that Steelhead thing..... I call those demons!



I also made my flight!

3 comments:

Marit C-L said...

CHEERS MARY!!!! You are amazing - it was wonderful hearing your voice after your race... HAPPY to read that you made your flight... Rest up, get better, and lots of aloe for the sunburn. :) CONGRATS on your race - you did AWESOME!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Congrats - great job on your race!

PJ said...

Ugg - hope you feel better soon! Nice job on the race.