Saturday, April 18, 2009

teacher's pet

Well.... it is official..... I will be working with Jesse himself. Gulp.

When I originally wrote to Jesse I never imagined he would personally take me on as an athlete. The guy coaches Cait Snow...... I am not in her league (in case you didn't know that ;-) I was actually getting psyched to possibly work with Cait Snow. I just never imagined that working with Jesse himself was a possibility.

We talked on Wednesday, exchanged some more information and then this email came yesterday: I think you have a lot of potential, and seem to have the right ingredients to bring that out with proper guidance.

I know full well that this guy is not hurting for athletes, or dying at the chance to bring a has been like myself back to life..... to be given the chance to work with the top dog here....... brought tears to my eyes.

I am not over yet.

I have always felt that I had potential. That I was not tapping it from myself correctly.

Now believe me I wish I was like my husband. Began the sport at age 35, and was the last man out of the water. Five years later he won that race five years in a row. At age 52 he goes 9:55 in an Ironman. He's qualified for Hawaii every time he's tried. He's medaled at worlds.

And never been coached.

But he always believed in himself.

When I begin to feel like maybe 35 is the sign that I am getting old...... I look at him (yes, do the math we are a few years apart. Call Larry King.) I don't think Curt truly understands what it is like to struggle. Not that he's never struggled in this sport, but actually........ I will say it...... he hasn't.

His worst races were a few Ironman races that he didn't hit his potential. But he';s never puked on a course. He's DNF'd once because it was too damn cold. Even when competing injured he's still on the podium. He's one of those people who doesn't understand why people need coaches. Right now I am working full time (as a nurse out of the home, as a coach at home), homeschooling my son (he begins in a new school in 2 weeks), helping with my mother in law. Geez on paper that doesn't look so busy.

Be the parent of a special needs child navigating the special education system in a medication nation (not my kid though) which means red tape + bureaucracy + too many captains on the ship and that equals a load of stress and frustration that I can't even describe.

If you have ever been someone who has ruled the podium, and then fell off of it...... you know what I mean. It is like you keep hitting the same wall from different angles.

My breakthrough in 07 was my 10:58 Ironman. 2008 became a disaster for reasons we don't need to revisit..... but one thing I know is that I am not over yet.

These few seasons of missed performances has taught me so so so much. The lessons were worth the failings. As I make my climb back up believe you me...... I will never take a good performance for granted again.

I have always believed in myself...... which is why I am still here after all of this. I know in my heart I have the ability to achieve my goals..... and now I have the chance to make that happen.

Fresh eyes. Someone who thinks I have potential. A coach that's so highly respected I have received 59 emails, most from people I do not even know, commending my decision and requesting I keep you up to date on how this all goes. You want to know what it's like to work with Jesse..... I will let you know. Believe me this is not an oppertunity I am going to blow.

From what I have experienced of Jesse and his company so far: professionalism, optimism, realism, and an eye for potential. (of course I will say that).

This is an opportunity I will be working hard to earn. I know he doesn't need me as an athlete. I know there are athletes much more talented than I who he could turn into Ironman champions. I know that I am just a small fish somewhere. I feel very grateful to be given this opportunity.

I have so much to learn.

We officially begin in 2 weeks. Which means I have 2 weeks to get things ready. I can go easy in all workouts from now until then. I have to ensure my Ergomo is functioning and downloading, my Computrainer is running squeaky clean, that the HRM components of everything is working correctly, oh...... and I have to get my bike back from New Orleans.

Yes, it is still not home yet. (I am riding little blue), but please let's not go there.

4 comments:

Missy said...

Ah ha, one of the people who are just 'natural' vs. those that have to develop talent...I have zero natural talent. It's all through work and work, and then some more work. Interesting that he's never had a coach and kills it every time. Blasted;)

It'll be a great year for you.

Marit C-L said...

Mary Eggers!!! :) I believe in YOU!

wiley said...

You are are one of the biggest fish I have met in the pond. Sounds exciting Mary! Time to soar!

Laura said...

GREAT NEWS! Good luck Eggers!! You are gonna rock it. :)