Saturday, April 11, 2009

random words.... random pictures

The wonderful friends I met at New Orelans 70.3!!!!!


Ahhhhh......... the best part about a rest week is getting back to work on Sunday. I took a week off essentially, not quite by choice but when I am sick..... I am sick. A few liters of IV fluid after the race and then again at home..... did I not jinx myself by bragging about my health?

Never again.

As I move forward to the next section of the plan I am building towards the Musselman, one of my favorite 1/2 Ironman races. I have good and bad memories of this course and this race fires me up.

I have added a bunch of running races to my May schedule to HTFU my run. I feel like racing now. I feel like running. I am glad that I waited until I felt the mojo to get out and hit that pavement.

Here is Donna and I by Lake P. Which wasn't dirty at all!!!!!!!!!
A lot of my bike work will remain on the computrainer. While we find out if Luc is accepted at a wonderful new school, I tend to get the most value from indoor bike training in terms of time and intensity. I have a lot of work to do on all fronts. My race data proved that I am right where I need to be in April. Worlds is still 31 weeks away and I needn't be PR'ing today. In November I will be aiming for it.

Actually July I will be :-)

This week I did contact a few coaches who I consider to be on my "bucket list" of people I dream of one day training under. I got some really good feedback. I wasn't sure if I am in need of a coach or just someone to give a few objective pieces of advice. In just a few words I was fortunate to receive some very good feedback about my program, my volume, my goals, my progress.

I really miss the coach athlete relationship and if I had things my way I'd be back underneath Coach T's guidance. He's my number one for sure, however he's in grad school, working, and being a father. Can't bother him right now. I have what he taught me, I have what I know.

I have to remain objective with myself, it's not easy because you want to hammer yourself with volume and you can develop tunnel vision as to where you are heading. I have created the next block with some very deliberate check points where I will literally stop and reevaluate the situation and how I am or am not progressing.

The best piece of advice I received was....... am I too tired with the volume I am currently holding?

Seems so easy, doesn't it. I am good at functioning at a high level when i am tired. Sometimes I get so tired I don't even know I am tired. That's where the coach / athlete relationship comes in wicked handy.


A view of the French Quarter

So it's interesting that the advice I take most to heart has nothing to do with how much I am working..... but how much I am resting.

I am one of those athletes who is incredibly coachable. I love to be told what to do. I am not a headcase..... believe it or not. I tend to crash often and rest too little. I like to work and I like to work hard. My biggest dream in life would to be to spend a year with Brett Sutton. Man I would love that kind of beating for a good year.

I didn't write to him. I was afraid he'd email me a bunch of F Bombs. I appreciate those of you who didn't write me that. :)

I work best with male coaches who don't hold hands, who give it to me straight and are tough on my mentality as well as physically. That's the type of swim coach I thrived under. I don't know why. Give me work and I will rise to it.

I take criticism very well. I mean honestly...... I can look in the mirror every day and tell myself GOOD JOB...... it's when I receive honest feedback...... that I truly thrive.

So I appreciate the feedback. The sarcasm, the honesty, and the brutality. It's what makes me a better athlete. It's what makes me a better coach. I love to learn and I know there is a lot I have yet to learn.

So onward we go through this education by fire. On so many levels. Thanks to those who took the time to listen to my questions this week. I am very grateful.

Time to HTFU and get my ass in gear. Thanks for the kick guys.