Wednesday, April 15, 2009

the four words i needed to hear

Came to me yesterday:

I CAN HELP YOU

It was like music to my ears but only it was happiness to my eyes. The fourth of five coaches who I emailed for help emailed me back. And I think we are a good fit.

This is a big decision for me. I have only worked with a few coaches: Doug Bush, Rich Straus, and Trevor. I have had great experiences with all of them.

. Who looks for a coach in April anyways?

Someone who has a good base built. Has time to hone in on the lofty goals she's set for herself, and who is in the position of not really needing a coach. Or so I think. I also love to learn. There is a lot to learn and the coaches on my 'bucket list' are coaches I would love to attend seminars of. I'd pay to listen to them talk about themselves all day. I'd never even ask a question. I have so much to learn.

When this potential new coach said he was excited I thought.... geez..... someone might be excited to work with me??

That's what I think about all of my athletes. It excites me to work with them. It excites me to instant message with Kim when she's running pain free or she's put in a great bike. It excites me to see Alan nail his 1/2 and Dennis tell me he threw up in his mouth. It excites me to send Sarah to running camp and Amy Mo to a 1/2 Marathon that's not an easy one. That kind of Sh** makes my heart beat fast. It really excited me when Jason pulled himself out of a flu that kicked his ass so bad it almost reached through the computer and hit me across the face. When Mary Beth freaking gets it done. Or when our Minnesota Girls Teresa and Heather reach across the country to train with us. Or Donna who just kicks ass...... does. It seriously excited me when I saw Jeremy on the bike at the first Trainer Tuesday..... man he looks lean and mean. How about Kim M. who has this absolutely killer freaking work ethic?????

I hope I am not leaving anyone out here....... but it excites me to have the opportunity to work with every single one of them. Some of the coaches I hear about may act like their athletes are a pain in their ass. That frightens me.

To have another coach look at my story, my results, my highs and lows, my power, my V dot....... and become excited because this is a problem they can fix? Wow. That feels...... great.

Now the grass is always greener on the other side. I have spoken with some of the athletes on the team. I have contacted a few people who have had experiences with these guys and they are all good.

And I am not on 'the team' yet. But I have a feeling that if I do hand myself over to this coaching staff that it will be a massive stress alleviated from me. At a time when I need it most. Home schooling is all great.... if you aren't a working Mom. But we are close to the end of that tunnel as we have a beautiful new school waiting in the wings. The stress comes from the bureaucratic nightmare it takes in New York State to make things happen at all much less late.

But that's another rant. If you are the Mom of a Special Needs kid in NYS.... email me. I have some advice for you. :)

After tonight I will know a little more, have more information.... and I know that my gut will lead me to the right decision.

Stay tuned.