Friday, July 10, 2009

black flies in summer

Needing to put myself in a spot where things would be tough, after my tempo bike ride I headed down to a trail near my house. In one direction it was shaded, in the other direction it was open. Green and trees on either side but nothing to cover overhead. Crushed stone provided the perfect surface and black flies. There's nothing like running 1 mile repeats when being circled by black flies.

Perfect, I thought. Make it tough.

The workout called for 6 X 1 mile repeats, alternating zone 1 and zone 2 (Friel's z2-3). Repeatability is what I was after so after my warm up I ran each mile in the same place even though with my Garmin I could have done them anywhere. Zone 1 this way, zone 2 that way. A few goals were on tap today, go by HR, cadence > 90, and nutrition.

As I ran the first 2 I noticed that the smell of dog%^#% was an enhancement to the wrkout.

During my second repeat it was time for a PowerGel, washed down by Power Bar Endurance (love this stuff). Thanks to Fleet Feet Rochester for having so much in stock and in so many flavors. I can't find it anywhere else and I really love to buy local.

My HR was 164 and I took down that gel, laughing in the face of it. My stomach was rock solid. I could have eaten a steak during this effort.

"You will never throw up in a race again." Coach told me a few months ago. I smiled. This training the gut stuff is working. I don't necessarily believe that it is the products although Coach believes these products to be superior. I think it is losing the anxiety about throwing up or having GI issues. Many time, I don't know what %...... GI issues are caused by anxiety and stress. Not all of the time..... but many times.

I have not done an official study but very often when I see a child under the age of 14-15 with GI issues, I notice that they have overbearing helicopter parents. Not all the time.... but a lot. I began to wonder how much my own anxiety about having a GI issue in a race in fact contributed to the issue itself.

The second thing..... you gotta train your gut.

So the gel went down and so did the Power Bar Endurance and the effort remained strong and not even a burp could get in my way.

I was delighted that I had legs after the bike I just did. I was thrilled that after the entire 2:30 effort of bike / run that morning I escaped the feeling of standing on the edge between bonking and passing out. I was awake, alert, I could have easily done math calculations.

No bonk in sight.

I am amazed at how if I take in nutrition during the workouts.... I don't gain weight. Losing still in fact! More during .... less at rest. I know this isn't rocket science but for someone like me to really make that connection.... it's huge. I know I am not alone in this feeling.

The black flies swarmed. The sun blazed down on me. No hat, no sunglasses, I wanted to put myself in the four corners of hell. While I hit my parameters and goals for the workout, I didn't feel like I was running beyond myself. felt like I was nailing it.

I had only one thought, "I can't wait to race."

That's what you have to do at times in training. You have to put yourself into tough situations and see how you fare. Can I deal with black flies, can I escape allowing the small things to irritate me? Can I run in the sun with sweat dripping in my eyes. Can I take in nutrition in the most delicate parts of the effort? Will it all come together or will I fall apart completely?

I am finding myself again. Not my old former self but my new self. I always knew there was an athlete in here that could achieve her goals and the armor has started to chip. She's not fully out here yet but damn, by Clearwater you bet she will be.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Glad you are finding yourself again and going through some tough stuff. That's good confidence for race day!

Karen Wilson said...

I can't wait to hear how musselman goes after all of your awesome workouts! And I totally hear you on the GI issue/anxious parent issue. I think we have way more influence over our guts (and those of our children) than we realize.