Sunday, July 19, 2009

Musselman 1/2 Ironman Race Report

Our goal was sub 5:10 and when Coach Jesse set that in stone this April I was disappointed. But I am a sub 5 athlete.... I was reminded of the debacle of my 1/2 Ironman and 70.3 resume of the past few years. Throw in 2 good Ironmans and it was time to put Mary back on the school bus.

I was 5:08 or 5:09, results are not posted yet. Never in a billion years did I think I'd love to hear that time. What that represented to me today was more than you can imagine. It's the beginning of the comeback I have dreamt of, it was the nailing of nutrition and the nailing of pacing.

Sometimes we go into races with the goal to win, or podium. For me it was difficult to go into this race, a local race nonetheless..... where I know that beating me is considered to be a big feather in one's cap (which I am very honored by).... and not be shooting for the win.

Since NOLA I have been working with Jesse Korlpelnicki of Quantitative Triathlon Systems. Jesse coaches a lot of elite athletes most notably Cait Snow..... winner of IMLP 2008. He's completely changed everything for me, and he began with my diet. Thank you for the very kind words about me being leaner .... yes I have lost 10 pounds since then. I have 10 more to go before 70.3 World Championships. I can say that losing 10 pounds was very easy. I adhere to the Core Diet as I have outlined before.... and I don't stray from it. It's how I like to eat, it's what I eat, and it works beautifully.

Yes..... I care that much about my goals.

For a little added weight shedding I donated one foot of my hair, an exact 12 inches to Locks for Love. I was called into the stage as a volunteer at the pre race meeting and someone said.... is that Mary Eggers? To which I received the kindest applause. Yes, it was me and I did chop the locks.

I live in a beautiful community.

Onto the Musselman. If you have not been here you need to come. This year almost 2,000 athletes descended on Geneva. If you have never done a race by Jeff Henderson you must. We stayed the weekend to make it a family trip (less than an hour from home). Curt was racing on Saturday, I raced Sunday. Luc participated in Mussel Fest on Saturday, Luc also raced Sunday as well. It's the kind of event everyone can come to. Hosted in Seneca Lake State Park this race and this race committee is ahead of it's time.

Did you read the fine print on your meal and parking tickets? That's Jeff Henderson. Awesome.

I ate my QT2 assigned breakfast, and headed down to the race. I felt calm and excited at the same time. We have such a beautiful triathlon community around here and so many from other states visited us as well.

The swim course was changed and I loved it. It begins in Seneca Lake State Park and then turns into the canal. Before the swim I chatted with Syracuse triathlete Julie Rosa, who was last year's winner and Double Mussel Champ. She's one of those girls you love to compete against. A heart of gold, sweet as can be, and she loves the sport.

I had a great swim. I felt awesome. 15 minutes into the swim however I noticed a woman swimming into me. Our wave was not that big. We had the entire lake. She kept swimming on top of me. I chalked it up to her not being able to see the buoys and accidentally swimming into me due to the current.

Until.

Until I felt her hand slam down on the back of my head and rip my goggles off.

Heart rate to 190. Are you kidding me? I stopped, replaced my goggles, took my hand to her left side, and shoved her over. Are you kidding me? In 12 years of triathlon, five Ironmans, countless national races I have never experienced such a malicious and cruel move.

Even when I got that grade 3 concussion in Placid last year. EVEN IN THE SWIM IN PLACID.

You attack me..... you'd better believe I am going to move you over at the very least. You are lucky I don't return the favor.

Several minutes later she swims into me again. I grabbed her around the waist and then moved her to my right. From then on in we had no problems. Until the exit. As we exited the water she ran by me and shoved me with her shoulder.

"Next time don't shove me." She cries out. Who the hell is this woman? I thought????? I did call her a B****. Had to. No one that I know in this area would act like that. No one in this triathlon community or nationally would do that. Later on I realized who it was...... and it made sense, It's her reputation actually. So much her reputation that a few people from her hometown approached me after the race and apologized to me for her behavior. She's known for it, has been for years. A mother no less.

As I got onto my bike I took solace in the fact that karma..... it takes care of behavior like this. When I am a jerk.... it does so for me. It kicks me and kicks me hard. It will also for her.

My instructions on the bike were very strict. Knowing I was shooting for a 2:43-2:47 was hard to swallow, I ride in the 2:30's. Jesse has set a plan for the season and for 2010. It takes baby steps, very purposeful progressive baby steps. This was part of that progressive plan. This was my first race under him, I wanted to follow directions in taking those steps.

I took my nutrition as directed and felt awesome. The bike was uneventful except for the people I saw being rude to volunteers. I then made sure to thank every single one. I wish people would comprehend the meaning of the word volunteer.

It means someone dedicates their Sunday morning to you. They don't know you. You don't know them. They could be doing a thousand other things.

I reminded myself that karma would take care of it. It always does.

The course is beautiful. Rolling hills, Lakes, plenty of wineries. Good roads, well marked. The weather was smiling on us as well. Low 70's and mostly cloudy. Spectators lined the course in various spots. Amish were traveling to and from church.

At one corner I came upon a couple I used to have a business relationship with, and have since parted ways. I am protective of my business and of my family, and we were not a good fit. I was appreciative of the guy as he understands sportsmanship. He clapped and gave me my splits. The girl crossed her arms and sneered. The reason I mention it..... is that I began to giggle so hard I almost missed my turn. Maybe that was her purpose.

I thought it funny the behavior I was running into this weekend. Wait till I tell you about how badly the girls who work for Score-This were treated on Saturday as they were handing out chips!!!!!! The thing I adore about our sport has always been the people. Everyone is just.... kind to each other. You don't have to be BFF but we are all good to each other. The select few I kept seeming to find...... you know.... will be taken care of. God forbid you have an Ironman coming up and act like that.

Ironman loves to take care of that kind of stuff. Ironman loves to B*****-slap. Did it to me twice. It isn't fun.

I rolled into transition in third place, I had gotten to ride a bit with Julie Rosa... love this girl..... and I wanted to come in behind her. Knowing there were uber runners behind me I set out to again follow my plan. The girls who passed me were either faster or I would see again but I had to stick to this plan.

My Garmin wouldn't locate. I had located 5 times in the past 2 days but it wouldn't. I turn it on while running out of T2.... so I pressed start anyways and stuck it in my pocket. I began running my feel and I felt GREAT. My running cadence was falling between 90-95. I FELT GREAT!

That feeling, new entity for me.

By mile 3 I realized I was wearing a watch on my wrist. I began to time my miles and I was on time. Nutrition was going great and i was not throwing up!!!! At mile 7 or 8 I saw Travis E. running the course..... I screamed to him.... I AM RUNNING! I AM NOT THROWING UP!!!!! I know he knew how big of a deal that was to me. My cadence was good, I couldn't stop smiling, I was hitting the pace and nutrition goals and I was happy.

By Mile 11 I had tears in my eyes. I would be under 5:10. I laughed as I thought..... wow, not too long ago I'd be embarrassed to even write that. If you know what I went through last summer (just check the archives) then you understand. As athletes we have peaks and valleys. And I am finally leaving the valley as I climb a new peak.

As I approached the finish line one of my athletes Sarah ran by me. She had begun four minutes ahead of me and I caught her on the swim. I knew this'd be a PR for her, she was tired and I began yelling motivating things at her.

"YOU NEED FOUR MINUTES!" Screamed.

OH MY GAWD, I immediately thought as I saw the finish line! WHAT DID I JUST SAY!!!!!!!

I'M A JERK! KARMA!

I crossed behind her and we hugged a big big hug. She's getting closer to me and that makes me so happy. We sat down in the Musselman ice baths and I apologized for what I had said..... I can't believe I said that! I told her...... with 100 yards to go! WHAT A JERK!

She assured me that I was motivating her. She PR'd again. All of our athletes PR'd. Ken by 20+ minutes and came in soon afterwards. It was a great day for all of our athletes. As was Saturday. One of our girls even did the sprint and the aquabike today!

It was awesome.

I believe I was 2nd in my age group, I didn't have time to look or even attend the awards...... as we had the kids race next. That report complete with pictures...... tomorrow.

I hit my pacing and my nutrition spot on. Jesse claims never to be more than 2% off in his predictions. He was right again. All I had to do was do what I was told. And I did.

I don't get a week off. Monday I head right back into a base week. The plan has a purpose and a progression. It's very specific. I like specific. I care that much about my goals that I will be specific.

I am very proud to be a member of QT2. I am very proud to have Jesse as my coach. Stick around kids because this is just the beginning. I know what's coming and I can't thank you enough for taking the journey back with me. It's been a great ride so far.

Congrats not only to the Train-This Team who absolutely rocked this weekend, The Eggers' boys did as well, and all you awesome folks of Rochester and Buffalo. It was awesome to see all of you. Thank you for your kindness. Thank you for your cheers and thank you for your huggs.




13 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Great race! Everything seemed to come together perfectly, and you still haven't tackled your A race of the year! I cannot believe the audacity of some of the racers... faced that once before from a notorious imp a race but in return the other athletes in her "tri city" became friends and I still keep in touch with them in CA.

Beth said...

Congrats Mary!! Sounds like you executed your plan perfectly. Glad that you had such a wonderful race and wonderful weekend!

Colleen S said...

Mary- Congrats on perfect execution of your plan.... As I like to say karma's a B*tch--- and what comes around goes around... yours is coming around.

When you give good energy in a race it comes back 5 fold! Sorry you had to deal with someone who can't appreciate and is so unsportsmanlike!

Ange said...

congratulations!!I don't know your past story but I am so happy for you that things are coming together! excellent. thank you so much for your nice comments on my blog lately. I DO know the HILL and will be waiting for your screams! :-) Thank you so much!

Damie said...

awesome job! I can't believe the way some people act- unreal. Way to hang in there. and meet your goal. and lose 10 pounds?? what is this core diet! share!!!!! keep it up girlfriend- keep your eye on the prize!

Ryan said...

Is there anything hotter than a hawt tri chic putting the smack down on some B**** in T1???

I think not!

Congrats to Team Eggers!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats Coach Egg, so nice to see you happy again! And great to see all the TTers this past weekend, I really miss you guys!!!

And think if you made it through that swim - all those swimming demons should be out of your head.

Kim said...

HOLY MOLEY - so glad you made it through that swim! it was great to see you again, and a HUGE congratulations on a great race!

Marit C-L said...

AWESOME! Love it Mary, absolutely LOVE IT!. Yesterday morning I kept pacing around telling Nathaniel that you were racing....I was so excited for you, sending good vibes and great thoughts! YEA!

Nice report - way to stick to your plan, your program - you are INCREDIBLE! :) Too bad there are a few in the sport who try to spoil it. I agree with Ryan (hee hee hee) - way to lay the smack down in T1!

CONGRATS to the entire Eggers family - you guys rock!

Alicia Parr said...

Way to go staying on your long term plan and executing a beautiful race!

Karen Wilson said...

Awesome job! I can't believe the swim tho- some people really need to find a new sport- like mixed martial arts! I wish people were nicer to volunteers too- I always try to thank them as I ride/run by (when I can still speak :).

Anonymous said...

Curious, how could a very fit person like you possibly have 20 pounds to lose? Not meant as an insult or to question, just having seen the pictures...it does not sound possible or necessary!

-Tim

Mary Eggers said...

Thanks Tim for your kindness..... I am currently at about 18% body far, and I carry it well! for optimal performance I am aiming to be at 14% for World Champs, and then we will go back up for the winter!