Monday, July 27, 2009

Ironman Lake Placid Descent

The big bad descent of Ironman Lake Placid. It's all you hear about. Never mind the 30 minutes of climbing to get to it, never mind the 8 minute climb into Wilmington. This descent takes a bad rap, like the big bad wolf or the black bears that were supposed to haunt me in Lake Placid.

I duct taped my video camera to my aerobars and took video of it. My memory card held all but the last 3 or so minutes I think. You Tube wouldn't allow such a long video to be uploaded in one piece so I split it into 2 roughly 5 minute segments. I added some audio not sure if you'd be able to hear it or not..... you can! And you can also hear my snot rockets. Sorry I was out for a three hour ride.

There are 3 segments to this climb, each are marked by a yellow diamond with a truck signifying the downhill begins. The first section is the easiest, I topped out at 48 miles per hour on the second and third parts.

And the camera I used is found here. It's waterproof, Chuckie V reccommended it.


This is raw raw footage, but it's kind of funny. At least I think so :-).




4 comments:

Marit C-L said...

THAT is freakin' AWESOME! Nice video work, Mary! And thanks for sharing - I'm going to go and share it with Nate - so he can see what your descent was like. :)

And fyi - your friend is right. Ironman isn't the same without you. But you're doing a fabulous job - keep up the AWESOME work Mary!!!

PJ said...

That descent is the reason I fly to Wisconsin to ride smaller hills over and over again during Ironman - none of this 50 mph stuff.

PJ = wuss. I had goosebumps just watching that.

Laura said...

Oh wow! It's so much prettier when it's not pouring rain and you can actually see, isn't it! Someday I'll do it again, I think...

Unknown said...

I love that hill but am terrified by it all at the same time. Its the hill I realized I could actually become a cyclist on during a training ride in the pouring rain.

Too bad you missed the little dip at the bottom that makes you feel like you're going to lose your lunch!