Tuesday, July 7, 2009

getting ready


That's how summertime should be, and is. Gathering at the beach, digging holes, connecting them, and playing in the water. And that's exactly what summer has been. Luc knows none of those kids in this picture. He has this gift of making friends wherever he goes. His summer program began yesterday and he arrived home with awards form speech therapy, and the news that he had passed the deep end test at his pool. That means diving board and that means cannonballs. Two deep end tests in 2 days. He's got no big interest in riding his bike but just add water to this kid and we've got a kid who is at peace.

In the lake yesterday he just started to do fly. I asked him where he learned that. He said Michael Phelps. Then he asked to join the swim team. My dream come true!

Earlier that day I spent the morning swimming in the lake, around here we are so fortunate to have this lake as well as Lake Ontario to swim in. It's an incredible gift. Between lakes and my outdoor long course pool I won't be swimming inside until September!

I've got a big week ahead of me before we bring it down a notch for the Mussel. I've entered into a new block of training and I adore it. I've got bags of Happy Ice on Standby. If you are not an ice bath taker I promise you that 15 minutes in ice will make the biggest difference in your day.

Here's what I like to do:

If you can find a garbage can tall enough to cover your hip flexors, it's a little more bearable. I found one and I am 5'10 and a half!

1. Get into the tub or the garbage can without anything in it
2. turn the water on, to cold.
3. Have your kid start to pile in the ice.

By getting in first and then adding the cold I have found it much easier to bear. I wear warm clothes on the top (and my bathing suit). 15 minutes at 58 degrees and your legs will say HAPPY while your mind will say BRAIN FREEZE.

As we are just a few weeks away from Ironman Lake Placid, I thought I would share a few resources about the course and Ironman in general from my favorite mentors:

These are from Gordo

Pacing your first Ironman

Golden Rules of Your first Ironman

Ironman Lake Placid briefing

This is from Coaches Patrick McCrann and Rich Straus of Endurance Nation

IMLP Preview

1 comment:

BriGaal said...

That is awesome you won't be swimming inside until September! With the winters you have to endure up there you deserve it!