Monday, July 27, 2009

I got a text message from an old friend this morning who competed yesterday.... it read..... "Ironman is not the same without you. Thank you for getting me into this sport." I smiled. Ironman does that, it brings a bit of nostalgia, at least for me it does. Ironman represents different things to different people. To me as an athlete it is much more than the setting of a goal and realizing of the dream. It's the journey I must take that makes it so deep. Part of that journey is the connections we have with each other.

One year ago I left this race in an ambulance. Yesterday one of my friends suffered a similar fate but has far worse injuries than I did. He crashed on the descent, going 50 MPH. He was on track for a sub ten Ironman. Stellar swim. First loop he came up Papa Bear smiling and waving and looking as relaxed as can be. When he went missing on the second loop we learned he was in the hospital with a broken collarbone, abrasions and a concussion. And a broken heart.

While truthfully we are so very very lucky he survived a bike crash at 50 mph,..... and I just need to say that he is not new to cycling or Ironman or even that descent...... he's experienced...... I know exactly what it feels like to go through a year of work and then.... then this.

When I saw him last night I felt gratitude. Gratitude because he is alive.

I don't care how many medals and sub whatever Ironmans you can do, because without YOU it means nothing.

Last night his father thanked those of us who stopped by. He pointed out how his son's accident made him realize how connected this community is. "You're not deep with each other....." he said "But WOW do you care about each other."

That's what this sport is all about. each other. That's what I could not convey last week when I had encountered the face of absolute and pure evil.

That's what I felt this morning when that friend who I just have grown apart from sent me that text. We are connected. We are family. That's the simple truth.

Ironman Lake Placid was a gorgeous day. I have billions of pictures and I will get those up when I get home. The Train-This Team enjoyed yet another 100% finisher rate. The times are not exact but here are the results:

Jochen Hoppert 10:56 (first Ironman)
Jeremy Hammond 12:30 ....... 1 hour and 40 minute PR
Kim Ammon 12:54
Jason Fitzgerald 13:XX
Alan Hayter 13:14, and he finished with K Dub. That was very special.
Mary Beth Tonkery 14:22.

I got incredibly emotional at the finish line. Not because I wanted to be out there. I love coaching this race. I love coaching this race more than doing this race now. I got so emotional because...... we are connected.

Kim is the girlfriend of the friend who crashed, it was Travis. I think of anyone she had the toughest day. Her race was going according to plan. when she completed one loop of the run course she realized Travis was not out there. I knew she'd be asking. I consulted with her Mom and aunt Donna..... I basically asked for permission to lie to her.

"WHERE IS TRAVIS!" she screamed at me. I swear I was fighting tears.

"HE'S FINE! KEEP GOING" I shouted. She told me not to lie to her, I knew she knew something was wrong. I waited for her to come down the hill and I told her I had spoken to him..... I hadn't but I knew he would want me to keep her going in any way possible. When she realized that he was not in a hospital alone, that he had family with him.... she relaxed.

Kim is the one who survived a horrible car accident a few years ago so of anyone in the world Kim knows how precious life is. Of all people I knew that in a time of crisis Kim knows this is just a sport. I wanted to take her worry away, I wanted to take her fear away. So through tears I told her that I had spoken to him and he said he was fine and to keep going. I really believed he would have told me that.

She kept going. She put her head down and she finished this race with that kind of news. He was fine, he is fine else I would not have let her continue. I saw him last night. He's hurting. He will heal. He will come back.

It's Monday morning in Lake Placid and I am about to head home. I got to meet the QT2 Team, I got to meet many many beautiful people from Syracuse...... the best part of encountering the psycho from Syracuse last week is the amazing people I have been able to meet. (and by the way.... Syracuse you spoke, and trust me, it was listened to). I got to meet Kate O and I got to meet Danielle. I got to hang with Heidi Grimm. A swimmer I used to coach 15 years ago..... found m.

As a coach this race means the results of a years worth of planning, working, and becomeing family with my athletes. Their victories are my victories. Their high moments are my high moments. Their lows are my lows. I love my athletes.

I loved watching the QT2 Team rock their days. Cait Snow and her cadence of 105 ran her way to second place. I saw races get executed by this team and I am so very inspired by them all. It,s a direction I am heading and I am so honored.

I am headed home, I miss my husband and son more than I can bear!!!! And by the way..... camping went just fine!

Off to Rochester. sunburnt, smiling, tired and blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifully written mary, so emotional! Man do I understand the pain of a crash and broken collarbone--but like you said those will heal its the broken heart that is harder to heal. i am sure that all your athletes are so fortunate to have you!

hugs
Amanda MT

Unknown said...

Oh man, I'm glad that Travis is ok - that decent is just plain scary; hats off to Kim for keeping her composure!

I missed the heck out of that town yesterday.

Kim said...

You've made me cry!! And made me think about another IM...