Tuesday, July 14, 2009

ready to go

I have a full day off today except for working. I have everything ready to go days in advance. My plan is simple and I keep memorizing it. All I have to do.... is do what I am told. As I think to what is in store for me on Sunday I think abut the plan that I have trusted. It is much more about executing the plan than anything. Save the ass kicking for Clearwater. I have won races, I have lost races. I have DNF'd races, I have qualified for Hawaii. I have been to World Championships...... so this Sunday I have nothing to lose by sticking to the plan.

Bike for show, run for dough.

Yesterday I headed down to the Geneva Bike Shop in Geneva NY. It's the official bike shop of the Musselman and recently named in the 100 best bike shops in the country. Jim Hogan is the owner and while he knew I was coming I don't think he wad ready to spend 2+ hours on my bike.

I have been without a true bike mechanic for a year, I have bounced around to a couple of people but I have not found my new bike home. I like an old school bike shop feeling and when I hung out at Geneva Bikes yesterday it's what I found.

You'd think a shop in such a small town would be hurting for business. Not so. Sure there were a few triathletes trickling in but there was a grandmother buying bikes for the granddaughters. A couple in town to rent bikes. A guy who was on his way to work who broke something.

This is what an old school bike shop is like. Come on in, have a seat... how are the kids?

Each adjustment and fix Jim made he found something else. I'm hard on my bike. At one time 3 guys were working on it at a time.

I will say I have found my new bike shop and my new bike guy. This is my new home.

It was good to be in Geneva yesterday. A small town with a hometown feel. A beautiful lake. Musselman posters everywhere. Locals stopped to ask me..... are you coming down for the race? Unlike what seems to be a growing hatred for Ironman athletes up in Lake Placid year after year, Geneva is excited for us to come for the sixth year in a row.

They can't seem to wait.

It will be an Eggers family weekend here. Curt is doing the Mini Mussel on Saturday, I am in the half on Sunday and Luc is in the Musselkids. Festivities are lined up on the waterfront the whole weekend to include music, wine and kite flying.

You just gotta come.

Lots has changed since NOLA. I am 10 pounds lighter. I am with a new coach. I am training smart and recovering well. I am in a very good emotional and physical place.

Sunday..... I get to kick off my racing season. I can't wait!

Signing off until after the race..... thanks for the cheers!

7 comments:

BriGaal said...

Yeah, Mary! Have a great race - we'll be cheering for you virtually :)

Kim said...

wohoooo see you up there! cant wait to cheer you on!!

PJ said...

Good luck, Mary! Can't wait to read the race report!

Unknown said...

A little surprise from one of your favorite past athletes is in the Mussle media guide!

I can't freaking wait to be in Geneva again, my parents get really upset at me when I say its my hometown :)

Beth said...

Goooood luck Mary!! We're cheering for you! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Teresa said...

Have a great race, Mary!

Ryan said...

Have an awesome weekend Mary!

Wow, 10lbs lighter? You are surely going to be running for the dough...speedy Sunshine!

Teegan wanted to know if she could do the triathlon with Luc. Sheesh! What kind of spell did he put on her?