Saturday, July 25, 2009

hello....hi......howdy!

It's Saturday in Lake Placid and you know that means one thing..... one more sleep, one more wake up and it's the day so many have been waiting for through the past year! A year ago these folks stood in line and set a goal, tomorrow they get to realize and savor an entire year's worth of work.

I have six athletes competing here and about a trillion friends! Our team:

Alan: Alan is the father of Tina who competed here in 2006. Alan has a special weekend this weekend. His whole family is here because Tina..... gets married here on Monday! He's been juggling taper with wedding rehearsal so on Monday night, he will finally get to recover.

Jochen: This is Jochen's first Ironman. He's one of those guys who is .... relaxed..... cool..... and he missed athlete check in yesterday. No problem. Jochen called up the athlete coordinator and he can register today. I bet a lot of that has to do with his laid back demeanor.

Mary Beth: This is MB's first Ironman, she's a nurse a mom and a wife! Her kids and hubby are here to see MOM BECOME AN IRONMAN!

Jason: Another first time IM ...... the Cheeseburgler. At our training camp last month he suffered such a bonk that he stopped along route for a cheeseburger. He didn't have enough cash and tried to take a cash advance on his credit card, the seller of the burger felt bad for him and just gave him the damn thing. Best part..... he had a Diet Coke with it. Sometimes we don't think when we bonk!!!!!

Jeremy: This is Jeremy's second Ironman, first being IM Kentucky. Jeremy is a good 5 pounds lighter than last time and he's so in the right place I could freaking BURST!

Kim: This is Kim's first Ironman, and this will be emotional for Kim. In 2002 she was critically injured in a severe car crash that she was in a halo, and shes got several bolts and plates holding her together. She's a high school swimmer and has worked harder than anyone I know to make such incredible gains in swimming, biking and running. Her bike has improved so much that people are dying to know her secret. She just..... trained. I think her finish for her and for her family will be a highly emotional event. They almost lost her. It was that bad. She's been my travel partner a lot this year and I have to say that she has a grasp on reality and the preciousness of life like no one else I know.

They are ready. They are rested. They are laughing and smiling. I will be in this venue from 4am until well past midnight. I never leave until all of my athletes are home.

I got to meet Kate Oliver yesterday, and I will be watching for her in her pinkness. Jen H I will send you updates. I am better than Ironman dot com.

This should be a very interesting women's race as well. Cait Snow, Sam McGlone, Kim Loffler...... it will be awesome!

The weather is good, a little rain but lots of sun! I think the warmth mostly comes from the people that are here. Lake Placid is a very very special place.

On the docket for today:

QT2 Breakfast and meeting Coach Jesse. ED: I am way too chicken to show up with coffee and a bag of chips!

Riding one loop of the bike course: I am duct taping my little video camera to my aerobars to film the descent. 50mph of descent! I will post it tonight right here.

Tail O'The Pup. Dinner at 7:30. If you are around, please join us!

Camping is going just fine. It did rain last night but I was totally dry. People called offering floor space..... camping is fun gang!!!! I swear!

That's all for now, stay tuned!

ONE MORE WAKE UP!

No comments: