Sunday, July 5, 2009

training the gut

It was one of those rides where everything just clicked. My eyes were set about 2 inches beyond my front wheel, I was hitting the targets and nutrition was spot on. One of the things we are working on this season is training my gut. I've thrown up in so many races and when Jesse took me on he promised I'd never throw up in a race again.

Sign me the hell up for that. Too much of my gut juice has been left along side the road.

We have to train the gut like we train the body. You don't just embark on a 6 hour ride without building up to it. Then why do we seem to only execute race day nutrition on race day, and wonder why our stomach is not agreeing? I am the guiltiest of that. For reasons I know and some I don't I rarely use nutrition during training. Nothing for anything under two hours. Race day comes and whoa.... why is my stomach so upset?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Now I don't go more than 30 minutes without something, which when you are dropping pounds was something I really resisted. But I trusted the plan, and the weight is coming off. Four more pounds till the Musselman, and it's been easy. I eat all of the time.

The nutrition component of the QT2 is not something that Jesse pulled out of thin air. It's the Paleo Diet, the Ultramind Solution.......... Jesse sums it up really well right here. Another good resources is this one right here, as the aim is to keep your blood sugar stabilized all day long. Low glycemic foods are what you want to be eating except for certain windows that revolve around training. Stay with foods with a GI index below 15.

Jesse outlines that in the before mentioned article, but here are the key points:

During the one hour before your workouts have a higher glycemic carbohydrate such as a grain to specifically fuel the workout (not too concerned with nutrient density at that time).

Fuel your workout with sport drinks, gels, bars, or grains

Following your workout, refuel your body with a good, high glycemic recovery drink that includes protein.

Continue to refuel after the workout with grains and lean proteins during a window after your workout that’s as long as the workout was.

Following these windows, go back to eating in the Core (i.e., fruits, vegetable, nuts, and lean meats). These are the highest nutrient foods and are also low glycimic. Why fuel your body with high glycemic sources if you are not going to use them? Therefore, people that don’t exercise should eat in the core at all times.

One time not to worry about the core is while carbohydrate loading for a specific race. At that time grains have a specific purpose to fuel your effort the following day.



When you do a nutritional analysis with Jesse you get a manual which contains several protocols on fueling for workouts and fueling for races and outlines nutrition before and after training....... the best part about it is that he reviews it with you page by page by page. He brings in terrific analogies, he teaches the way I learn. No wonder he makes such a great coach.

Yesterday I was eating 1/2 powerbar every 30 minutes for the 2 hour bike and 1:05 run, which both finished with tempo efforts. Never before in my entire life have I been able to hold a tempo effort and a solid food. As Jesse said ..... we are training your gut for 2010 (more on that later, but it is not IMLP).

Yesterday nutrition felt great. The efforts all felt great. MY RUN FELT GREAT. I felt like I was in control of it. I felt like I was owning it. As my in-training nutrition is improving my workouts are much more productive. I am recovering like a CHAMP. I used to hobble out of bed. Not anymore. I attribute that to ice baths, good post fuel nutrition (really..... that has an impact) and being all around healthier.

That's what this nutrition really revolves around. Health. I've got my health back which regardless of anything else is the truest gift.

If you are ever interested in a nutrition consult with Jesse and QT2, it is a service they offer.

For $260 they offer a personalized weight loss plan.

For $260 they offer Nutrition Maintenance plans.

Race fueling consultations are $160

At first sight they might seem pricey but trust me on this one: it is worth every dollar (all of these services are included if you are coached by QT2). In all honesty when I first looked at the price of coaching itself I puked. As I am deep in the trenches of this I get it.

I am treated like I am Jesse's only athlete. When I have a question my answer is to me before I even hit send. Jesse calls you once a week, he likes a lot of contact with his athletes. He holds you 200% accountable, as he gives you 800% detail.

I'm in the right place in so many ways. I see now that the best performances I am capable of are ahead of me. In 2009, 2010 and in 2011.

Two weeks to go.




No comments: