Sunday, July 12, 2009

fastest bike split of the day!

How many times have I heard this? Seen this? It's my darn trademark. It's where I have won every race I have ever won...... on the bike. Fly on the bike.... die on the run. I'm a classic at it.

Next Sunday I check my ego at the door of the bike course and I get my mind wrapped around the runner that I am becoming. The choke collar will be on. "I will be analysing that power file." Coach reminded me tonight. We will be setting up for my first ever strong run and well paced 1/2 Ironman race. It's no secret I have not paced myself at this distance well. That changes right now. I am on the way to the World Championships and the ability to pace will begin right now.

Next Sunday is about pacing + nutrition+ execution. All I have to do..... is what I am told to do.

Excellent. I can do that. Ego.... check it at the door. Done.

As Trevor used to say..... bike for show..... run for dough.

My 3:03 (yes.... three hours and three minute) ride was done along 20A in Orchard Park, towards Warsaw. If you know that area then you know it makes Placid seem rather flat. 10-15 minute climbs and 5 minute descents. It's gorgeous but tough. There were times I saw 36 for cadence. 5.6 for speed. I was nailing my nutrition to the wall. I was eating at my highest heart rate and smiling. Bring me a damn steak!!!!!!!

This weekend it feels like I consumed more PowerBar product than whole food and peed on myself more than in a toilet. I bring new meaning to the word STINK.

The 30 minute run felt like a breeze. Cadence 96. Did you know that Cait Snow, 2008 Ironman Lake Placid Champion (and my teammate.... sorry but I have to make a reach here....) runs with a cadence of 105?

Coach is teaching me that I need to think like a runner. Gone are the days of having that fastest bike split of the day..... and just holding on for the run praying I have built enough cushion. In 2004 I came off that bike so far ahead of Donna McMahon, and she ate 12 minutes out of my 16 minute lead....... she just ran out of real estate. I am learning to think like a runner.

Part of my mental strategy on the bike will be to rev up for that run. I have an assigned pace and I am to hold that pace. I am to take nutrition as I am told to. I am to sit on my bike seat and get passed if I get passed and let it happen. Get ready for the run.

Truth be told I am feeling like a runner, I have never felt that before. My E paced has dropped to 8:30. My cadence again is averaging 96. I am enjoying running more than ever before. I loved hill repeats. I am looking forward to being on the track post Mussel for the first time.

"We've just gotten started here." I was told. This is the stuff I have signed up for.

Like I said..... that bike ego will be checked right here and right now. "Nice bike split" is something I don't want to be known for. "GREAT RACE." Is what I want. Equal splitting in all 3 disciplines.

6 days till race day!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pre-race hug it is! If there's hope for you as a runner, does that mean there's hope for me as a runner???? Or a runner for distances of more than 40 yards!

And weren't you the one who always yelled at me about my bike cadence....