Wednesday, July 22, 2009

camping in the core

Okay fine... there's the hair! Caught in the act packing my apples with my Batman Ring.


I'm not a new camper by any means. In 2007 I camped at Eagleman 70.3 with the Wev and Ja Boon. We camped in actual tents right outside of a high school. Never mind the tornado that whipped through that night and rolled my tent over a few times. Nothing like taking refuge in a High School!

Oh yes, I know exactly how to rough it.

My friend Steve complimented me at work last night. "Of all the girls I know, you would be the most fine!"

Whew.

So what does a camping triathlete need, who eats in the Core and who is bringing 2 bikes, coaching the Ironman and the forecast calls for nothing but rain for the next 5 days? You bring your camping mojo.

As I hear there are a few rules for camping in Lake Placid. Well, really just one giant rule. DO NOT LEAVE FOOD OUT. NEVER NADA, not even a cracker. There are bears out there. Black Bears! I taught my son that black bears are not like his black bear. These black bears not only eat children but I hear they also have an affinity for carbon fiber bikes and powermeters.

I have assembled all of the necessities. I have a tent. A tarp. A thermoelectric cooler (a cooler that plugs into your car and keeps all the foods you need on the Core diet.... fruits, veggies, Greek yogurt.... salad salad salad.......) cold! You need a good sleeping bag. A cooking kit. A lighter and some matches. You need a good raincoat and some rain pants. Seam sealer. A coffee maker. (I still have one morning cup of coffee a day).

Lucky for me, I am a massive skank..... and I won't bring a lot of training clothes. I will bring just a few things and wear the same bike shorts daily and probably even to swim and run. Maybe I will bring 2 pairs just to be fancy.

Maybe bears don't like Stinky girls. I am preparing for 5 days of being soaked to the bone, I am planning on coaching Ironman in my wetsuit, and I am planning on having a boatload of fun.

When I am in my tent in the middle of the night I will not think :

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Aside from coaching and screaming all over the course on Ironman day (I will be the screaming chick on the mountain bike.... okay one of the 800 of those.....) and we will be at Rich Clark Hill. You will know it when you see it..... aside from that there are 2 things I am looking forward to:

Meeting the QT2 team and Coach Jesse.

Saturday night dinner at Tail O' The Pup.

Oh yes, Tail O The Pup. If you have ever been to Placid then you know what I mean!!! After enduring Coach Jesse's surprise phone call and pop quiz on how many carbs I was up to on Saturday for carbo loading...... by 8pm on Saturday night he will be all tucked away in bed.... he's racing Placid and there will be no Saturday night phone call "Send me yesterday's menu" quiz.

For one meal I will go off the core and I will eat a..... (gasp)...... hamburger. have to. It's Tail O' The PUP!

Damn I am so psyched to NOT be racing Placid!!!

So it's off to Placid we go! I will count how many old Finisher's shirts I see around, how many compression socks I see..... and how many nuttos are out practicing the descent on Saturday!

I will bring you coverage of Placid like you have never ever seen before! The truth of Ironman Lake Placid! Uncovered, uncensored! So take the weekend off kids. Cozy right up to the laptop. The burning questions will be answered......

Will Mary get eaten by a bear?

Will Mary have flashbacks of the Blair Witch Project?

Who will wear the most absolute outrageous outfit in the Ironman?

Who is really winning the race? Is Ironman dot com FIXED???????

Stay tuned.

Placid OR BUST!

3 comments:

wiley said...

Hey Skank Woman w/ the cute haircut!(Comb prior to meeting yer coach)
We can bear-ly wait to hear about your upcoming escapades camping, coaching and screaming in Placid. Have a safe, great trip!!!!Namaste!

PJ said...

I love the hair!

Unknown said...

You are not allowed to make fun of how dorky compression socks look, lest you forget you were one of the dorks wearing PURPLE ones the day before Musselman!

And that can't be my former coach in that picture!

I dare you to have a bag of pottato chips in hand when you meet up with Jessie!