Tuesday, September 1, 2009

new arrival

This morning it was announced..... another 70.3 race on the docket. This time, right in my backyard. Syracuse 70.3 scheduled for Sept 2010. My 2010 schedule is coming together quick and it looks good, as I know where the results of this labor and journey I have been on will come to fruition.

I admit I was excited about this announcement and in the same breath I was disheartened. Another 70.3 Ironman event? Doesn't it seem like they are everywhere, like it is this giant takeover?

As I head to New Hampshire next weekend for the Pumpkinman 1/2 Ironman I feel worried for the smaller races (that aren't truly so small). I am comfortable that the Musselman 1/2 Ironman will remain string, there is just too much local commitment to it to prove otherwise. You could put a damn Ironman in my front yard on the same day as the Mussel and I'd never cheat on my Mussel.

When I began in triathlon all there were..... were the smaller local races. I remember when the Lake Placid Ironman was born. I remember when qualifying for Hawaii meant a June trip to Muskoka or a trip to Memphis in May earlier in spring. Times have changed throughout the past 10 years. More and more are Ironman bound and even more are 70.3

The 70.3 distance is my favorite. It gives me a taste of long and a taste of strategy and it is very doable with a family. I love that I will be competing in four this year. While I have not mastered the strategy of this distance yet I am thrilled with the challenge of learning how to.

After a good six weeks of base training following the Musselman 1/2 Ironman I am now settling into a week of intensity. Pumpkinman will serve as a test day / hard workout / pacing exercise. I am patiently awaiting the next 8 or so weeks of Clearwater preparation. And I love it!

Today I begin my first day of Graduate School (heading towards a Masters in Nursing which will render me a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner)..... and then afterwards I will hit the bike for some "BST"s which I nickname: bust your guts out. Hill repeats on the computrainer.... music to my very ears!!!!!! A little tempo run off the bike, a great tempo swim tomorrow and then Thursday is the day I can't wait for.

Back to the hill. Hill repeats and a tempo trainer ride. I love seeing 18 hours. I love seeing zones other than one.

Better than mallow creme pumpkins.

These harder efforts are strategically placed within my program to begin at the right time. To help me push to a new edge on this path to Clearwater. To build strength in my body and in my mind. It's so freaking exciting to me.

Until 7pm however I am waiting, drinking tea, preparing for my first day of school. Excited about possibility!

2 comments:

Kim said...

yay back to school and approaching 70.3s! since im not doing IMs next year, maybe i'll do syracuse since i have friends from there!

Unknown said...

I'll see you at IMSyracuse...how can I resist a HIM 30 min. from my house?? Good luck with school today!!