Friday, October 17, 2008

beginning


To create a plan, a year, a season I like to start with goals. What is it exactly that I would like to accomplish this season? I have three levels of goals: the big, the medium and the small.

The Big: This list entails my ultimate goals for the season. Something big that I can constantly look up to. For 2009 I have the following Goals:

1. Sub 5 hour 1/2 Ironman at Gulf Coast, Musselman and 70.3 Worlds. Now...... there were so many years I never went over 5. In actuality this should be an easy goal for me to attain. But through a series of circumstance and.... whatever..... it has eluded me. Within this goal I have the big goal of figuring out this distance.

2. 1:40 1/2 Marathon this spring. Again, there were many years I ranged between 1:39-1:44. I haven't focused on this distance, so this is a realistic goal for me. I also wish do do the same within my 1/2 Ironman performances.

Now there are a few goals that I have not quite whittled down yet to look pretty, but those will be added to the big list.

The medium list: this contains smaller goals which are stepping stones to my bigger goals.

1. Swimming: At the Ironman distance I am a swimming slacker. So my goal is to maximize my strength with actual tracking of my T time and progression with my Masters team through the season.

2. Cycling: Continue to increase my FTP and my ability to pace myself while racing, by continuing to train with my power meter.

3. Running: continue to evolve as a runner. With the Jack Daniels V Dot program I became good at running frequently and consistently at certain paces. Now that Ironman is over I shall be focusing on getting faster through the same system. I will be using winter and spring 5 and 10K races to help me toughen up in the speed department. I'd like to get to a 20 min 5K and maybe even below!

4. Continue the evolution of good nutrition. Get down to a lighter weight more appropriate for 70.3 and speed, through proper wholefood nutrition.

5. Avoid injuries by curing my allergy to gravity, and being honest with myself and my body.

The small goals: these goals are almost my weekly goals and they change all of the time. They help in attaining my medium goals which help me attain my big goals. For example my goals for this wee were:

  1. Practice yoga every day as I continue my off season

  2. Good Nutrition (adhering to TriGirl Pink's challenge)

  3. Get enough rest

  4. No structured training. Walk and relax.

I have laid out my Annual Training Plan (ATP) and began to structure my basic week. I have configured my four weeks of transition period to begin on November 3rd. I have penciled in some test dates beginning in December. The protocol I will be using for test sets and my tentative progression has been printed out. My new daily log has been created as well.

I have to admit that I am really excited to see what I can do with myself. I am really excited for the opportunity. My continued rehabilitation is going really well, I am down to once a week at the chiropractor, I am at a level 1 pain (I can't believe this has lasted a month.... which is really short when it comes to injuries actually....) and next week I shall go for 3 short runs!!!!!

Onward!



No comments: