Sunday, October 19, 2008

heartbreak

Please forgive me, but today is a hard day.

I have debated on whether to write or not about this. It's not really a topic some would find appropriate for blogland..... maybe more appropriate for a therapist. But what if I can say something that you can identify with, maybe you have been through this same thing? What if you have felt this sort of pain?

I write because it is what I do. It's who I am, it's how I express myself. I write because we are all in this together, in reality.

As I look back on my 2008 season I am proud of what I accomplished. I overcame many things and I kept my spirit high. I fought through a lot. I endured a lot. I also encountered the heartbreak of my life. It's taken me almost 3 months to come to terms with it, and I can't even say that I have come to terms with it. It's been hard on my heart. Hard on my mind.

Two days after Ironman Lake Placid I learned that I was pregnant. Yeah, I was just as shocked as you are.

8.5 weeks to be exact.

Surprise and happiness were very short lived as we soon determined this pregnancy wasn't viable. We had to end it on July 31st which was absolutely, unequivocally the worst and most painful day of my whole entire life.

As I thought back on the previous eight weeks, so many things had made sense that I had simply overlooked. The way I felt. Missing periods. But honestly sometimes that rolls into Ironman training.

I remembered how horrible and flat I felt at Quakerman. How tired I was at camp.

And I was horrified that I had done all of this training, all of this to my body while I was carrying a child. Training was not the reason this pregnancy wasn't going to make it. But I will always wonder.

How could I not know I was that far along?

Well, now for the second time in my life I have made it possible for birth control to say that it is 99% effective. Plus with my history periods aren't always regular. Ironman training makes you tired. Sure I was more tired than normal but ..... I had done 2 IM's in a year.

The guilt, the horror, the pain and the heartbreak were so overwhelming. They still are. The only one who can even possibly understand what this has felt like.... is me. I have shared with some, some of you. Sometimes it is just about letting it out. You can only carry around so much pain. But it's been like a weight I carry all alone. All by myself.

I layed on the couch and stared at the ceiling for almost 2 weeks during that time. All I could do was cry. My training, moving is what has helped me the most. It goes back to what I was talking about the other day. Moving.... exercise has "proven physiological benefits". It gave me fresh air. It gave me a place to be. It gave me a place to cry because in all honesty...... crying is what helps in times like these.

I can't erase it. I can't erase the pain. Some days are good days. Other days.... the days when I think..... what if..... what if..... what if...... who was this little person...... what would they have been like...... those are the days that rip me up. That pull my heart right through my body and throw it on the ground.

The physical pain of the whole experience was shattering. And as shattering as that was it was pale in comparison to the pain I carry around right now in my heart.

That was why I was so intent on going to Texas, despite having crashed my bike. Despite all I have been through. I needed a get away. I needed the sun. I needed to be with friends. I needed a starting line, I needed a finish line. Every step along the way I thought about the baby I lost. A girl.... a boy...... who they could have been and what they could have been. What I could have done differently.... and while they tell me there was nothing..... I will always wonder.

In many ways it was therapeutic for me to go to Texas. In all honesty I just wanted to pull the covers over my head and cry myself to death. It was actually in all honesty the one and only time in my life where I thought..... I wish I was dead.

Then, my seven year old little boy came up to me on the last day that I was on the couch. He asked me if I wanted to shoot hoops with him outside. I said yes, primarily because I felt so guilty for what he had been witnessing, and for trying so hard to keep it all in.

We went outside and we shot hoops. For over an hour. I don't think we said anything. But every time we made baskets we'd high five.

Of every single person in my life, Luc is who helped me the most through this painful experience. He didn't say anything magical, and while he didn't know what was going on.... he knew something was wrong. He got me outside, and he got me moving. He couldn't say anything to take away the pain and the heartache and the feeling of sadness. He couldn't do one single thing.

But be there. Spend time with me. Enjoy the moment. Be a family. And I coudln't allow the pain I was feeling, am feeling..... to cause me to overlook the one most magical thing I have right in front of me. My son.

I learned that you don't always have to say something to help someone through a tragedy. You can send flowers and say words...... but nothing replaces hugs. Nothing replaces time spent with someone you love.

They say this kid has problems. They are trying to tell me he is learning disabled.

I think this is a kid who lives from his heart. I think this is a kid who knows how to live authentically. I think this is a kid who knows the true meaning of love.

Love, that's what is ultimately going to heal this pain.

18 comments:

Pedergraham said...

Oh, Mary, I have tears in my eyes. You are so right about Luc. I am sorry about the baby. I hope that day-by-day your pain eases. Now I am going to go and give my little girl a hug.

Danni said...

((HUGS))

Marit C-L said...

Luc is amazing - truly wonderful. You are so lucky to have him. I am so sorry about your loss - I can't imagine what it was like... I'm here for you - sensing you good vibes. You have accomplished so much, above and beyond triathlon this season. Mary - simply put, you are incredible.

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of love and support your way, Mary.

Donna

wiley said...

I am so proud of you sweetie-for sharing your story and putting it out here on your blog so others with similar experiences won't feel so alone.By sharing your disappointment, anger, grief and the sense of loss you had other women w/ similar experiences will know those feelings are normal and an essential part of the healing process.It is very clear to see the tremendous network you have supporting you. Sending you a big bear hug!!!

Beth said...

So sorry to hear about all this and all the pain you've been through! You will be in my prayers. And of course, if I could, I would give you a huge hug! Thinking of you Mary!!

Mel said...

Mary, I am so sorry for what you are going through...I cannot imagine, but don't blame yourself for this......

I am the same with you when it comes to irregular periods...I ran a marathon while six weeks prego not knowing I was and with all my other babies I did not know I was pregnant either until months later.....SO some times we just don't know!!! Don't be hard on yourself and I know this does not make it easier, but they say most of the time when woman miscarry it is because the baby was sick :(

BIG Hugs to you!!!!

rr said...

Oh Mary, this post made me so weepy. I'm sorry that the pain is so enduring. I haven't lived through it, so I can't tell you I know how you feel, but I know that joy when you find out, and it's all consuming. I'm so sorry you don't get to have/know him or her. Luc is wonderful. You are so so lucky for what you have with him.

xoxo - rach

BreeWee said...

I love you Mary, thanks for sharing this story. Something about boys... little boys make every blah moment a little easier...

Glad you made it to Texas and got out from under the covers. I once read on your blog, one about your eating disorder, that you had to stop and be strong because you have Luc and Luc deserves his mom... Mary, this is another moment when Luc deserves his mom... stay strong for him okay...

And just so you know, when I am down in the dumps I also remember what you said and stay strong for my son.

Loads of hugs coming your way.

Unknown said...

Hugs and warm wishes as your heart heals. On the note of learning disabilities, we turn out pretty good ;-)

Unknown said...

P.S.
Thanks for being so brave and honest to post this blog. I have another dear friend that is going through this too. You honesty is helping so many other women find ways and reasons to heal.
Thank you.
Tracy

Unknown said...

Big Hugs from a friend in Blogland:)

Anonymous said...

Mary:
You are brave and so strong to post this - I knew you were still (of course!) having a tough time with this - but I hope this helps your healing. hugs! Jen H.

Laura said...

Lots of hugs from blogland!

Alili said...

{{Mary}} I am so sorry about your loss.

Anonymous said...

Mary,
I was thinking about you during my hour long ride today and cried for you. I wish there we're words that would help. You are the strongest person i know, so i know you will get through this. I'm glad you have your wonderful, caring little man to take care of you. He is special in every way that counts.
Nathalie

PJ said...

I'm sorry to hear of this pain you are having to endure, Mary. I am so glad you have Luc. What a great little boy!

Big hugs to you. I'll be thinking about you.

Missy said...

When my youngest was 4 years old I went through the same experience except I did know that I was pregnant. Since I have two daughters, I have always wondered if that baby was the boy I never got to have.
I admire your courage to get moving and keep moving. Life can make that a big challenge sometimes!
I did run through my entire pregnancy with Sarah, Barista girl, and she is healthy as a horse. I doubt there was anything you did that caused the problem, or anything you could have done to change the outcome.
Have a blast in Florida! I'm definitely looking forward to a little fun and sun myself in Clearwater!