Friday, October 10, 2008

Texas Longhorn 70.3 Race Report

Best truck I have ever seen!

I loved this race. That's really all that I need to say. I loved it. Many of the local Austin athletes were mortified that this course was a representation of their city. I couldn't understand why. I come from beautiful countryside with good roads, and I thought the same thing existed in Austin. This race was not only beautiful but F.U.N. Texans are perhaps the funnest people on the face of this earth.


Hands down.


Due to my bike crash on September 11th I knew this was going to be a rough day for me. I raced the entire day with strategy. If I could just race about a 5:10-5:15 I could place high enough to qualify or attain a roll down slot to the 2009 70.3 World Championships. That would give me over a year and I could take an eight week off-season with no pressure.


The water was warm and day of race it was just cold enough to be wetsuit legal. I was a bit worried because I had left my wetsuits back in New York, as it seemed that only dropping an ice burg into the water would allow wetsuits! Enter the Blue Seventy Point Zero3 suit.


I had swam in this thing in the beautiful waters of Barton Springs, and it felt great. If I had stood at the race start with a choice of a westsuit and the Blue Seventy, I would have chosen the Blue Seventy. For the first time ever I was able to have a good swim in warm water. Sure the swim was short but I felt terrific. My back gave me no troubles.


Onto the bike I felt fantastic. I stayed very in control as I hit my wattages and speeds and I was passing people like crazy. The course was fun, twists, turns, some small climbs, and a headwind. I love to ride in a headwind! Sure the road at times was crappy. My nutrition was secure, and I have ridden roads like this before. We have some like these at home. I understand that a 56 mile bike course has to be designed a specific way. This race director knows his stiff and honestly these roads were not horrible. Bumpy in spots. No big deal. By far the funnest bike course I have been on. It felt good to ride hard but I was careful not to ride too hard. Even though I knew the run was going to be slow I had to keep my strategery in mind.


Off the bike my back hurt a bit but I knew walking was not going to help. I reverted to E pace and had the run been 26.2 miles I am sure I would have finished in the top three.


For once in my life I wished it was a longer run ;-)


The run was fun. A double loop on roads and through trails and the hill..... not so bad at all. Plenty of time to see friends and cheer everyone on. Plenty of time for high fives. I kept the pain in control. I played it very smart. There were a few times I tried to pick up the pace and the pain grew stronger.


I reminded myself of the goal. It was no longer to PR but to try and grab a spot. To grab a spot we had to race smart.


About one mile from the finish line I came upon a guy named Matt. He was struggling. He began to walk. I grabbed his arm and yelled at him, "Not at mile 12 Matt! We have one more mile to go" So we ran it in together.


I have to say that through the race I got so many cheers for the Texas suit. I added in a Longhorn salute and I got even more. I am proud to admit to being a poser Texas girl. As I came up quadzilla the race director was there. He was shouting out names as we crossed the mat.


"And representing the great state of Texas is Mary Eggers!" He screamed. "From......" There was a pause..... "Form Henrietta New York?" I screamed to him that today I was a Texan.


And I was damn proud.


I finished the race feeling fine. Feeling happy for a finish line. Feeling thrilled that I did what I could do with what I was given that day. I was lucky to be racing at all.


Kim hung around the awards with me, and when it finally came down to rolldown my heart began to pound. I just wanted to truly achieve one of the big goals I had set.


When the spot rolled down to me, he didn't even finish my name when I cried "I'll take it!" And I was so happy to sign the dotted line.


Whew. Pressure off.


It was truly a great day. I was blessed to spend it with friends. I was in awe to watch guys like Richie Cunningham and Tim DeBoom...... and to watch Simon Lessing come up on stage one more time.


I took a lesson from the women's winner Lisa Bentley. She took time, she allowed herself to recover and she is coming back slow. She's had some slow races and she's had some obstacles, but each day she is faster and she is stronger.


And so shall I be. I turn 35 this year and I know it will be the best year of my life thus far.


Now it shall be 8 weeks of off-season. Nothing but yoga and rehab this week. Next week a bit of swimming. November 1st I will start to run but nothing really structured until December 1st.


I have had the opportunity this year to work with a really amazing coach. Trevor Syversen. He is absolutely awesome. In fact I have had the fortune of working with some very amazing people through my career. From each person I hope to gain knowledge and insight.


And now it is time to come full circle. I have a new coach. She's experienced, she knows more than she thinks she does. She's a female. She's had some great years and not so great years. She's a working mom who loves her family, her life and her sport. And I hear she's really cool. Find out more about her here.


All I know is this: she knows me better than anyone else in the world.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW Mary! Great RR report and so glad the race turned out so well for you during a difficult year for you, for sure!!! Way to perservere (sp?)...and I am cracking myself up here on my couch in Chicago BECAUSE I clicked onto YOU as your own coach! WOW!
I give you alot of credit. I could never do that. I would run myself into the ground so bad I would be dead! ha! :) good luck! Jen H.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to have spent this weekend with you . Memories..... YOu did awesome. can wait to see you kick butt at Worlds!

Marit C-L said...

Great RR - did you wear the fuel belt? Very happy that you had a great race and were not in pain! Phew!! Excellent on the Clearwater Spot - fantastic! Yeah for the coaching! That's super cool!!!

Pedergraham said...

Good luck with the new coach. I think she's pretty smart and special, too! :)