Saturday, October 11, 2008

strengthen up

Quite honestly I get really sick of the debate on whether strength training is beneficial to triathletes. I have found an equal amount of evidence on both sides of the issue and I am not here to debate it. You either do it or you don't. Much of it has to do with the individual athlete, their body, and their beliefs. There is no such thing as one size fits all, and the key is always to look at an athlete, their abilities, body, mind as an individual.


I find that those who hate to strength train never do it. I find that those who enjoy it, do it.


I find that those who have a limited amount of time skip it.


I find those that have 15 minutes in their day enjoy doing a bit of it.


In my 5 years of coaching, more often than not, the athletes who do some sort of strength training have less injuries. Now.... granted this is a highly unscientific study with athletes of different abilities, different goals, physiques, etc.


This is just my experience. And I should really say that it is not limited to the five years I have coached triathletes. It's the 30 years I have been a competitive athlete. Yes, that would make me four years old when I became a competitive swimmer.


In my opinion, a stronger muscle is a healthier muscle and it can sustain more. Bottom line. That's my experience talking. Not only for others but for myself.


Where strength training becomes a problem is:


1. When people skip a swim bike or run to strength train.

2. When triathletes focus too much on shoulder days, leg days, etc.

3. When triathletes spend more than 3 times a week for 30-45 min in the weight room.


Again, this is opinion. I can not stress it enough.


I recovered from a partial tear of my Achilles Tendon. I do various calf raises daily to help prevent further issue. That's strength training. Ever go to Physical Therapy? It's a gym of broken people doing strength training to regain function, range of motion, etc. Strength training.


It comes back to the basic rule of life, this applies to just about anything:


In moderation everything is healthy.


As you know I highly enjoy functional strength training. I bulk easily so for me working on stability balls, with cords, and with the TRX is really fun and effective for me.


First: define what you like and or don't like. Do you like barbells and hate stability balls? See if you can create a program that uses what you like. A great resource for functional strength training that utilizes all modalities is www.ptonthenet.com Chuck Wolfe is one of the creators of this site. I was really lucky to attend one of his seminars and I really enjoyed learning about his philosophy.


Next: what do you have time for? We can all make room for 15-30 minutes a day 3 times a week. While you are watching TV, maybe get in a round or two before swimming. Be that nerd on the deck who does strange exercises while waiting for a lane.


Last: Just like training, be consistent. Don't expect results of you do it once a week and then none a week and then three times a week. Achievement is found under the umbrella of consistency. Just like the rest of your training change it up. Periodize, make adjustments.


Training is an evolution through a year. It's not a set in stone kind of deal. Give yourself different things to focus on. Things that are designed to enhance your swim / bike / run combo. Have fun with it.


And finally..... do what I do. Realize that there are coaches and people in the world who will always disagree with you, your philosophy and who will find the negative side of everything. See it, acknowledge it, and let it go. It's their stuff, and not yours. Just like everything else in life and in the world, if you believe in what you are doing, and you believe in the reasons why you do what you do...... then it can only help you.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word. You are the woman.

(donna (-:)

Pedergraham said...

I don't know that much about the physiological side of strength training...but I do know that between my coach and my PT we have worked out a pretty good protocal between strengthening at the gym and through exercise. It is an approach that they've worked out over a few years through trial and error. I realized yesterday when I picked Lelia up to show her something that I am so much stronger now than I was 2 years ago when she was 15 pounds lighter. You are so right that it needs to be an individualized appraoch. And, thanks so much for the reminder that I need to not skip this important part of my regemin!

kerri said...

HERE, HERE. Great post, Good points. I need to forward this to a friend who just the other day exclaimed "strength training is a waste of time (for the cyclist). Anyway, thanks for making a good argument.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Thanks for the great inspiration to get in the weight room! I agree its important - I have raced better while doing it than not so I guess that is a vote for Yes! I am trying to strengthen the stability muscles which seem to be my downfall at the end of a 1/2 IM.

Marit C-L said...

Hey Mary - like you I bulk up with serious weight training. Functional stuff all the way for me! Also - when I do balance and focus on the connective tissues, my IT band and hamstring rarely get injured! Very important for me - this is a great summary of strength. Thanks for the site!

Eileen Swanson said...

Perfect timing for this post. Thanks! I love strength training, unfortunately I didnt do much of it this year. You are so right, we all need it!!