Tuesday, October 21, 2008

mary eggers is about to get sharked


"Hello God....... is that YOU?" It still makes me laugh, just thinking about it. Ryan tells it best. His day at Ironman Florida 2007, the day he coined the phrase "I sharted myself" and came apart at the seams a bit. So much so that when Mike Riley announced his name as he crossed the finish line...... he thought it was the voice of God himself.

Some people equate the voice of God to Morgan Friedman. For us triathletes..... it's Mike Riley.

I wish I had known Ryan a year ago, because I was out there too, but I was having the day of my life.

Now in a little over a week my husband will be toeing the line and for the first time in 10 years, I will be taking a vacation that does not involve me racing or training. Of course I will train, it's the ocean for heaven's sakes. But this time it's all him.

Through my site meter I have noticed that a lot of people have been googling his name. Kind of makes me laugh. The guy has certainly proven himself on the short course field throughout his life. Forever on the All American list, always on the Inside Tri list..... National Champion, you name it. Short course is his thing. The last time the guy did a 1/2 Ironman he did it in 4:20.

His Ironman record isn't the greatest..... according to him. I mean he's only done Kona. And walked half the marathon to an 11:06. Canada 2001 was his second, walked about 18 miles to a 12:05. He hated the long training. Once he called me collect to come and pick him up during his long run.

So it really was not hard for me to go 10:58 last year in Florida and claim the title of the "Household's Fastest Ironman." With everything else he's accomplished, can I just have something?

I remember sitting at the Waffle House the morning after IMFL, intending to eat the world but only having the appetite for toast and coffee from my favorite mug. I remember him asking me how I felt and how it felt out there. And what time did registration open.

HUH?

He told me he'd just take a voucher.

Then back at home ironically the last day to claim your voucher was the day that Kona was televised. As we watched I pretended to do work on my laptop. I was really typing in his information. As soon as the credits began to roll I asked him what he thought.

"Kind of makes me want to give it another try." He admitted.

"Good" I told him. "I just hit submit." If that didn't mean he had an Ironman in a year he might have asked for a divorce.

Curt built his year as he's always built it. Raced a lot, head to Portland where he earned himself another age group bronze medal. And he's slowly trended his training volume upwards. In 99 and 01 he didn't follow good nutrition during the Ironman. Man's had to teach himself how to eat 300 calories an hour and take salt. The nutrition is what held him back before.....

We just didn't know. I was actually able to give him some help and help him realize..... I know this is a shocker..... you need calories to be strong in the Ironman.

And then..... this is where it was crazy. While I was in Texas he texted me. "I just rode the IMFL course on the Computrainer. It seems hilly on the CT."

WHAT?

You rode the IMFL course? I texted back.

Yes. He replied. I needed to get it done before Luc woke up. He had ridden 5:15 inside, covered 112 miles, and ran on the treadmill afterwards. When I got home as he told the story he told me he got bored the last 10 miles so he rode them hard.

Apparently when I get bored with things my approach isn't quite the same.

"I am dead." I told my Texan friends that morning. "My Ironman record isn't going to get broken, it's going to get freaking shattered."

See that picture over on the right hand side? The one where Curt's head is in the shark's arm? read the caption above it. In a little over a week we will be returning to that store and I will be sticking my head through the shark's arm.

Because Mary Eggers is about to get sharked. Taken to school. The bus is coming down the street and I can hear it. And you know what? I am pretty excited about it. It's so damn cool when you can watch the person you love and admire hit their best. Will it be his best? I think so. I have never seen him more prepared. I have never seen him so relaxed. I have never seen him enjoy the training so much. It has been refreshing to see someone take such a relaxed and casual approach to this Ironman stuff. Never panicing, never freaking out. Just putting one foot in front of the other. Day after day after day.

The Ironman and I may have divorced, maybe Ironman has moved onto Curt. At least for now. I am happy to give that relationship up.

Please email me or leave me a comment if you are competing at Ironman Florida. Luc and I will be at the Days Inn at mile five of the bike course. We will make a sign for you and scream our little brains out.

We will be somewhere on the run, but please let us make signs and scream for you. For once I get to sit along the sidelines, drink myself a brew-ha-ha, swim in the ocean and stay up late watching Ironman athletes achieve their dreams!!!!!

6 comments:

PJ said...

Good luck to Curt!

Laura said...

Come to mile 1+ of the run course. That's where the 'insane in costumes' of Memphis will be! We'll have a cold brew waiting. :)

Roweramo said...

yay! good luck Curt!

Mary, you are such a strong, and inspiring woman. From what I have heard, and read, you and your family are have so much to offer everyone around you. I am so very sorry to have read about your loss... i know that everyone who read mourned with you for the loss of this little life. continue to keep your head up, and one foot in front of the other...

cheers, and enjoy your brew-ha-ha! :)

Trigirlpink said...

ahhhhhhh. Nice to finally know the shark-ed story. Tooooo funny. My husband is down in Ft. Walton right now for work and I think that is very close to PC Beach.
I can't believe your slice rode the ENTIRE Computrainer course for Fla. That is well... insane. I hope he has a good day and we'll just see about changing that shark-ed picture...it's a loooong day out there!!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Mary,
Please root for me too! I'll be #83--wearing lots of pink and riding a pink Guru.

I was very sorry to read about your loss. Please accept my most sincere condolences, and blogger hugs.

Damie said...

I can't wait to meet the 3 of you. I definitely need your support, and I will cheer Curt on to his PR too! Of course, only if it is a 10:59. :) Lol