Thursday, October 9, 2008

we've officially seen it all now.....

This is a woman from Rochester. She's done at least a hundred Ironmans, she's done Hawaii at least a hundred times. She's one hell of an athlete. And she's fifty something! But I found this on Slowtwitch. It was labeled "We have officially seen it all......" Oh my!

It's the latest fad these compression socks. Most people who wear them don't even know what they do or what they are for. When I wear compression socks I wear them while working (I am a nurse) or when flying. Rarely at any other time.

As I paged through the latest edition of Triathlete and Inside Tri I laughed. Label it a compression item and it is a hot seller.

Bottom line: these things work when you are not racing. Know what you are wearing them for. Know the safe compression measurements. Did you know you can get different levels of "tightness"? How do you know which one is safe for you?
These babies have been around a lot longer than triathletes have. We in the medical field know them as Ted Stockings and we use them for patients who are recovering from surgeries, bed ridden etc.
I am always so stunned when I ask someone why they wear these and they tell me:
"I don't know..... but they work."

Here is a good read and it's really simple: http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007_10_01_archive.html it's by Joel Friel and there are some very good references at the end.

And if you still don't believe it ...... the swim helmet can add compression for only $19.99 if you are one of the first five callers in the next 20 minutes to 1-800-swim-helmet!

2 comments:

Damie said...

that helmet comment was too funny. I have a couple of socks from walmart- (5$ and 7$) just about 10-15 mmHg, so not enough to do hardly anything. But, I hear you on them feeling good when you work on your feet all day. Dave calls them my geriatric socks.

GoBigGreen said...

I am a PT and Ted Hose do work!
but like you said people are getting goofy with them...
congrats on your race and enjoy your fall season in NY.
julia
ps my sis lives in Houston... I luvvvv Texas!