Thursday, October 23, 2008

hitting rock bottom

I don't know what we are doing in this picture, but that's me, Kim and Ja Boon in Texas!

I am mortified to say that I gave in. I joined FaceBook. Or is it Facebook. I blame it on the fact that I spent 12 hours in a classroom yesterday. Yes, 12 hours. Give me 140.6 miles to cover and I will, untrained and backwards before I enjoy sitting in a class for 12 hours. I'm a girl that needs fresh air and a whole lot of it.

One of the wonderful side effects of sustaining a grade 2 concussion at Ironman Lake Placid this year are the repercussions. I have had what I suspect to be a migraine maybe once in my life. That was a year ago traveling home form Germany on the airplane. I puked my guts out. What's worse than being sick? Puking on an airplane. Midway through an 8 hour flight. In a small airplane crossing the Atlantic. And the barf bag breaks so your hurl goes all over you.

Suddenly..... you become that girl. Whoever made those crap bags should be shot. Especially when I filled about 10 of them.

The 16 year old kid sitting with us was horrified.

So was customs when I barfed my way through there. And then security. Nothing passes you through GO while collecting your $200 like vomit.

I will have to remember that next time I fly to Europe.

Anyhow....... for 12 hours yesterday I absorbed what I could, the class is actually really interesting.... I had my laptop so Amy Mo and Kim kept me company through emails. And so did Ja Boon. I had a terrible headache and had to visit the bathroom to barf on the rocks a few times. U.G.H.

The most enlightening statement of the day was how Boon predicted Curt's IM finish time. Numerology..... she said she learned it in med school. I can't reveal it till he's done. Then I will also tell you about the massive $$ pool we have going here at Train-This..... a little wager that Curt doesn't know about that will surely make one of us rich.

So if you are watching IM live and Curt is closer to their predicted time than mine.... turn away..... some freak girl might jump out and push him through or hold him hostage..... for a few minutes.

And of course I am avoiding the Facebook topic. I told you I'd never join and I am still not so sure. Within minutes I had a bunch of friends. I thought I was hot stuff when I reached 17 at minute five, and then I realized my sister in law.... had a few hundred.

A few hundred????

Great. I still won't be Homecoming Queen. Even on Facebook.

Names started popping up that I hadn't seen in a while. Fiends from years past. My biggest hesitation was that I didn't want anyone from high school to find me. None of those names have showed up yet. I was the sick eating disorder girl in high school..... I had great friends but it's a let me forget about that part of my life feeling.

But maybe that's what I need. I need to find that part of my life again. I need to stop avoiding those people. JILL: I lost your email when I changed emails..... send me another and an update on the girls and the baby!

Jill and I went to high school together. She found me on the news around here a few years ago. I allowed my life to get too darn busy and just seemed to never have the time to connect.

So whenever one of her beautiful girls falls off something..... I see her in the Peds ED. Last time I noticed she was pregnant again! How wonderful!

So maybe Facebook is my step to reconnecting to the people I have spent years trying to avoid. Why avoid? Not because of anything they did wrong..... but a part of my life that frightens me. Recovery is continual for kids like us..... but one mention of the words high school and I have an instant flashback of a time in my life that was horrible.

It's not horrible anymore. It's wonderful. So let me stand on this rock and take a look behind me. By doing a bit of that I found out my old friend Roy is a doctor in California and appears on some show called General Hospital at night (or something like that.)

So here I come FaceBook. I don't' know how to work it, and I can't see myself spending all day on it..... because I need fresh air. I have a whole day to get it, so I am going to take it!
And I still have not found my sister.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I can't wait to become an old man statue. ;)

Cy said...

I'm so glad your on Facebook!

It's Lazy man's blogging (notice I haven't blogged in a while) :-)

Unknown said...

Oh no not you too!!! I am so addicted to Facebook and use to make fun of it. Now my Husbands on it too. On the bright side it has been awesome to reconnect with buddies from the past.
Tracy