Monday, November 17, 2008

always believe

The snow is falling outside my home office window, and while the sky is grey I can't help but have the feeling of warmth. I've noticed that the stores are filled to the brim with Christmas gear and already.... the Carole's have begun playing.

If I were in charge of this world the Christmas Carole's would be playing from November 1st through January 25th. The season is far too short and when else can we tap our feet and hum to the tunes of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?

If I were in charge of this world there would be mandatory morning meetings around a bonfire on every corner and the drinks were hot cocoa. The hot cocoa with the big marshmallows. We'd all stand there for a few minutes each day and catch up. The way neighbors used to.

If I were in charge of all of this we'd have a Christmas party every weekend between now and January 6th. Just for the sake of getting together. I would make dressing up optional, but it's Christmas..... it's fun.

If I were in charge there would be mistletoe everywhere.

If I were in charge every single person would wear a Santa hat, every single day. Just like my son does right now.

I know the years of believing in Santa Claus are numbered, but this kid believes hook line and sinker. While it's the world's greatest bribe (don't make me call Santa...), it's the feeling of believing of something bigger and beyond you that I love so much.

I am glad stores are back to greeting each other with Merry Christmas. Happy holidays? Say that to me and you'll get Merry Christmas in return. Arrest me and send me to the North Pole where I will paint toys the rest of my days. That's not so bad!

Christmas is beyond religion for me, beyond Santa and Jesus..... of course it is all of that. That stuff is important. But to me what this really all comes down to is that for a few weeks of the year we are all a little nicer to one another. For a few weeks of the year we all gather for parties, we drink some wine, spread some cheer. We take a break form the grind and we take time for each other. For a few weeks we get to watch wide eyed children watch Santa and his helpers in the mall, at pancake breakfasts, or in the parade.

The making of Christmas cookies is the making them together part, when you scoop some dough into your mouth, and laugh as you make silly designs. The cookies are the bonus.

Our family is scattered all over the world, and usually we come home together every other year. Just so happens this year we are all coming home again. My mother makes all of us (11 in total) matching pajamas with our names embroidered on the shirts with the year. While the kids sleep we play pool in my parents basement and drink beer (legally now!), and we catch up.

More than presents there is laughing. There is sledding. There is fun and there is togetherness.

None of it happens if you don't believe in something. Call it Santa, call it Christmas, call it what you want. There is something hopeful about believing in something bigger than you, something that you aren't sure exists but you have blind faith that it does. That to me, is the true magic of the season.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post Mary.It is a wonderful time. even with no presents. I love xmas music and always feel guilty ! Bring it on in early Nov. Why not!

Nathalie

kodiacbear said...

My eyes are a misty, and that's not usually an easy task! Thank You, Mary once again.

BreeWee said...

Oh you should be in charge, I will take Christmas music this early in the year... and yep, gotta believe!

Almost show time for you!

Anonymous said...

Carole's? You do realize that a 's is possessive, right?

CAROLS.

Christ, while you'll probably not allow this comment you should for the sake of dignity fix your spelling.

Anonymous said...

now thats the kind of magic I am talking about! mmmmmmm tonight will definitely be another cocoa night with my hubby:)

love Amanda