Saturday, November 8, 2008

stability

With everything we have at our disposal in terms of balls, bands, straps, etc, it's almost a crime to pay money to belong to a gym these days. For the 15 minutes you drive there and then drive home you could get 30 minutes of strength training done right at home.

We know about the debate on whether strength training is a hindrance, helpful or makes no difference at all in Multisport training programs. Create your own viewpoint and move along please. You aren't going to change my mind. To swim bike and run faster you need to swim bike and run. No one is saying that strength training trumps specificity. But strength training is a valuable tool to have in the tool box.

I believe a stronger muscle is a healthier muscle, which means it can sustain more. And as you age you lose muscle mass.

Plus…. I think it is fun.

Here is a great stability ball workout thanks to the folks at PhysicalFitnet for introducing me to this great site and for the ability to post videos. Starting this week we will feature a different set of exercises with different equipment. So stay tuned. You just might enjoy this!

4 comments:

Damie said...

Mary- how do you read my mind? I was just thinking this morning I had a couple of questions for you on strength. (but mine are swimming related)- can you post on your favorite swimming cord exercises and when to do them- I remembered you had mentioned it on an earlier post? Love, your baby guppy still learning to swim.

Unknown said...

Mary,
Thanks a million for sharing this. core and strength is something I really need to add to my program. So nice to have visuals to go with explanations too.
Tracy

Missy said...

I am over 50 and definitely need to get serious and committed to adding strength training. I was wondering how I would put together a plan since I cancelled my Y membership this summer. Thank you so much for these great ideas! I knew that stability ball was meant to be more than just a room decoration!

Laura said...

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this. I think I'll try some when I go to the gym over lunch today!! :)

Oh, and I second the swim exercises - I'm more of a baby guppy than Damie.