Saturday, November 29, 2008

playing for her


There is a quote I think by Mia Hamm that says something to the effect of Behind the athlete that you are today, behind the coaches who push you.... is a little girl who fell in love with the game. Today... play for her. As I weathered the storm of 2008.... like so many of us have.... I have been getting to know that little girl again. The one who loves to run and swim and bike and be a little bit reckless with herself and her heart.

As 2009 is just a month away I feel it brimming with possibility and opportunity. This is the year. I can feel it. Throughout the past year and even past few seasons I have tasted disappointment and defeat more than I have tasted victory and success. Lots of things played into that. But for 2009 I have a clean slate.

I feel full of love and abundance. Love for a very wonderful life that is right now filled with laughter. Abundance not in terms of things.... but in terms of people. Our Triathlon team for example. A mix of positivity, possibility, ability and passion. This might be the most passionate group I have coached yet. For the record I say that every year and then every year the passion and the drive go even deeper.

'Round here the Christmas Tunes... (Carrols..... Caroles...... how am I doing professor?) are playing and I don't care if I hear Frost The Snowman eight hundred times. I only get to hear it for ninety days and I will not live in the box of "This is too much Christmas." like I see so many.

This week we will put that Christmas tree up and as Luc is 8 .... we've got the beautiful collection of handmade, homemade ornaments. And that is what a tree should have. I believe a Christmas Tree reflects you.

Growing up my mother had 2 trees. Her tree and ours. Her tree had a theme, ribbons on each branch, lace..... we considered it to be her tree to F**** up. Our tree..... represented our family. Picture ornaments of ourselves in kindergarten. My sister and I always play a game, I always put her picture on the back of the tree, and she will switch mine and hers. This goes on for weeks.

The Eggers' family tree has a little bit of everything, because that's what we are. A little bit of everything. Ornaments get hung wherever because some things in life don't need to have rules. The lights..... whatever we seem to be in the mood for.

What's important is that there is love in the air. There's magic as Luc focuses on the fireplace. There is hope for something bigger than us. There is abundance of family, friends, Christmas Cards arriving.... and this year I am even sending cards..... popcorn of all kinds, candy canes and stockings.

Man I love this time of year. Because whatever we are celebrating, whatever religion we all walk around with a bigger smile, a hop in our step and a lot more love.

Love is what makes the world go around. This year I have been able to unlock it with my full potential. Like opening the trap door and letting it all fall out. As I look at my guys I think..... how lucky I am.

As I hit the bike at early o'clock I will continue to be grateful for the ability, for the passion and for the dream. Sometimes you don't realize what you have until you have it physically threatened.

So that little girl within me that fell in love with this sport 10 years ago? I am on the bike for her this morning.

2 comments:

Damie said...

so cute! you always share such good spirit. I always feel much better about my sports when I feel that deep love for the activity. BTW my tree is always decorated in star wars and horses. ha ha :)

Mer! said...

I love this quote too! I just used it in my blog...it helped power me through Ironman...you know those days-you dig deep for whatever makes you move!

I saw someone with a swim helmet during IMAZ!!!!!!