Tuesday, November 4, 2008

freedom

Here's a scary skeleton from the beach!

Greetings from the Atlanta airport where CNN is confusing the heck out of me on the election results. Stop with the damn predictions already.... let the election just happen.

I got an invitation from my sister in law the other day to join Mammas for Obama.... and I had to decline. Sorry girlfriend I am a die hard republican. Funny how politics works these days.... I don't really get into debates over politics. To me it is your own internal set of values and ethics that determines who you are and what you believe in. It is not my job to judge you or persuade you but it is my job to accept you for who you are and whatever you believe in. That's why I am so proud to live in this country. If you consider me to be "insert your negative word here" just because I am red or blue...... then please.... move along. Move on to someone who cares to place silly judgements on people like that.

But we do that, don't we. We might judge someone based on their size, their ability or lack thereof. We may judge them because we consider them to be loud, or talkative, or ultra competitive. We judge people before and instead of taking the time to actually get to know them. Beyond words that they write or results that they produce.

It's interesting to me. I love to watch that happen.

I especially love when people judge me based on any factor before ever having a conversation with me. I stand back and I watch in amusement, because I realize that is their story, that is the story they created...... not mine.

And again, that's why I live in this country. That's why I salute the flag when I see it rise. That's why my hand is on my heart when I hear the National Anthem. That's why I know the words to the National Anthem.

Because...... I can.

As I can do that, I can also enjoy the freedom to rise above that kind of stuff.

As we know..... our lives, our families, our abilities as athletes...... they are all what we make of them. Don't worry about what others believe of you and your performance, you believe in it. You believe in your performance. You believe in the person in the mirror.

I find that those who like to lend judgement spend far too much time looking in your mirror than looking in their own. I also find that the people who react strongly and negatively to a quality that you posses...... because you reflect something within them that they aren't comfortable with.
So let it go. Just let it roll. Let people get mad that you are voting opposite what they believe. Let people think this or that because you had a slower race. Let people believe this or that about you because of "insert your quality here."
Enjoy being you. You only get to do this once so make sure you do it right from your heart.

So enjoy your right to vote today...... enjoy your right to choose...... enjoy your right to be red or blue..... enjoy your freedom to be the person that you are. Without limits and restrictions. Just freedom.

Now that's something to celebrate!

1 comment:

rr said...

I love my republican girlfriends :) Nice post, sister!