Monday, November 3, 2008

cloud nine

Or should I say cloud 9:55?

It's just so awesome to have been a part of Curt's journey. The man who has never quite hit his potential at the Ironman distance…. it was awesome to see him do it. He did every single step of it the "old school way". No HRM, no powermeter, no Garmin. Just perceived exertion and excel. That's all. He does admit that he can see how the Garmin would have been very helpful as he did spend the run slowing down. But I would take a 3:38 marathon slowing down any day.

I was proud of him in so many ways. I had parked us at the stripper house, which was at mile 1+ of the run. My athletes and especially Pelee were tracking him online and texting me with updates. I knew when he'd be coming and I knew how his splits were faring.

When I did the math after the first 13 miles I realized he could "Sh** the bed" run a 2 hour second lap and still break ten hours. Deep down inside of him, in the part that would never admit it to anyone…. I knew he wanted a sub ten hour finish. Yet like all other Ironman athletes he would never say it out loud. Something about Karma.

Tonight was the awards ceremony. By absolute chance I got to sit with Ryan and his family: Wife Melissa, daughter, mother and sister. It was an absolute highlight of this trip.

It has been funny; Curt has been finally putting faces to names from Blogland. Marit, Danni, Laura….. and then Ryan. In 2007 Ryan had a struggle of a day at Ironman Florida. Coined the term sharting…. was sure Mike Riley was in fact the voice of God and struggled his way to a 12 hour finish.

Well…… he did this race on Sunday in 9:31. 13th in the 30-34 age group. 1st Clydesdale by 90 minutes. At 6 feet a billion inches, and 220….. this guy is wicked strong. He's the age group version of Thunderbear. It was awesome to share in that celebration.

I cried when Curt finished last night and my eyes filled with tears when he got up on the stage.

He did turn down that slot to Kona. And I get it, I get why. He's been there…. done that. He loves his short course and signed up for Muskoka 70.3. He hopes to join me in Clearwater 2009. At this rate he should have no problem.

He's one hell of a decorated athlete. Throughout his career he's done a lot of things, made a lot of lists, excelled at the various distances he focuses on. I'm learning a lot form him.

And it will be my head in the Shark's arm tomorrow. For sure. In 2010 I will come back to this race and I will have at it again. I don't know why but I love this race. I love Panama City Beach. I love this time of year.

We spent the day in the ocean. Met some great people. Saw stingrays. Danni swam her first ocean swim and experienced the thrill of ocean sickness. Marit scoped for sharks. Luc demonstrated a natural ability for riding the waves.

I continued running camp along the beach. Monday is the official start date of my 2009 season and how appropriate. Ironman inspires me.

In the 30 days I was in the off-season I took a total of 12 days completely off. Not always in a row. I did yoga, a little running, occasional swims and a few bikes.

Coming to Florida and spending 6 days in the sun, sand and the seashells….. was just what I needed. I reconnected with friends….. put so many faces to names like Joy and Damie ….. and spend time with so many of you. I treasure these things like you would not believe.

Most of all….. I treasure this time with Curt and Luc. There are times when we look past the bonds we have as a family and then there are times like this…. where I hold even tighter. I feel so blessed ion so many ways.

I am signing off until Wednesday….. I promise to post all of the pictures when we get home that day. For now…. I have three more days of training in the sun. I will take a final look at Panama City Beach and I will tuck it away.

Until May.

7 comments:

Missy said...

Wow and Congratulations to your husband! Another great 'last race of the season' story!

Danni said...

Mary,
It was great meeting you and yours. Thank you for swimming in the ocean with me, it was awesome!
Congrats to Curt again.
Looking forward to seeing you again in May... yes, i am IN for Gulf Roast tri :)

Go Mom Go said...

.... hmmmm,

I have been trying to decide if it will be Florida in 2010 or Arizona in 2010.

You may have just pushed me toward Florida. It would be such an honor to meet you.

Peace! Have a safe trip home.

Laura

Beth said...

What a great trip and awesome experience Mary!!! So happy to hear you and your family had such a wonderful time. Safe travels home!

kerri said...

WOOHOO that's great. Had to be awesome to watch. I don't blame for enjoying some warm weather. Have fun in the sun!

BreeWee said...

Yay Curt!
I saw him on stage getting his award, it was the first time I ever saw him in real life, then I saw you taking photos... LOVE! You guys are beautiful. Congrats to Curt for a great day and congrats to you for being an amazing supporter for him!

Eileen Swanson said...

CONGRATS TO ALL OF YOU!! WOOHOO!!