Friday, November 16, 2007

The Art of Training

Lately I have been involved and reading up on many debates. The debates seem to center on "the best way to train". Heart rate monitor or Pace? Power Meter of Heart rate? Lifting weights or not... and is functional strength training all a bunch of bull?

These debates are very enjoyable to me, I love to hear different opinions and I love to hear different points of view. I think we do however have to remember one thing.... if someone (coach or fellow athlete) preaches to you that "X" is the only way you can train for "Y" you should turn around and run. Run fast and run far. If you believe them.... then I have a bridge to sell you.

For my athletes I use a combination of things, and it begins with what you own. We can't train with power if we have no power meter. I think that the ultimate lesson that all of these devices teach you is how to listen to your own body. The old schoolers call is perceived exertion. In the middle of a race your heart rate monitor or power meter may not work... but your perceived exertion will never fail.

But today's topic is really about weight training. Is it beneficial or not to multisport athletes? In all honesty I have read just as many studies that advocate weight training, and just as many studies stating that it makes no difference. What I am going to tell you is my opinion.

I believe that weight training is very important. I believe that a stronger muscle is a more durable muscle. Those who are over 40 also need to be mindful that muscle mass decreases yearly. Yes, there are studies that show that endurance training will be sufficient. But people are individuals and that needs to be addressed.

Within the past year I have become fascinated with functional strength training. In a nutshell the theory of FST is to train the movement first, the the muscle second. Essentially each movement has a degree of rotation with it, because that's the movement we replicate when we swim, bike, run, walk, rake leaves, etc. The muscles in our bodies work in tandem.

Example: perform a bicep curl and you are working the bicep. Add a squat to it and you are working the core and the legs. Add a slight twist to it and now you are using the obliques. I don't see how this can harm your multsiport career. I really believe it can only help.

I can be my own example. I am someone who has lower back problems, and since I have Incorporated functional strength into my routine I don't. In 2005-06 I partially tore my Achilles tendon. I will not ever remove my rehab for both my AT's from my program. When I don't do it, I start to have problems. So naturally I believe in it.

A question I often get is, how much weight should I lift, how many reps? I think this is very individual, just as the type of weight training is individual. Last season I had an athlete who just preferred to weight train on machines, she just didn't feel the benefit of the FST program. Because we know how much our mind affects our body, I put her back on machines.

Weight training should be periodized just like the rest of training. You evolve through phases of adaptation, strength, etc. So it is hard to say you should lift 15 pounds for 3 sets of 15.

Some of my guys are the difficult ones... getting them out of the weight room or out of the routine of lifting like a body builder is very difficult. So tapering them a bit and changing the types of sets they do is very helpful.

Women are fearful they will bulk up.... and they seem to do great with Functional Strength Training.

Pilate's and Yoga.... excellent methods of strength training as long as you are in a good class with proper instruction. Those two entities are risky in that we may not be tuned in enough to sense our alignment and can risk taking poses too far.

Bottom line.... remember that training is both art and science. We need to look at both sides of the coin in addressing people as individuals. What we as coaches and athletes must do is take a look at the big picture, determine what might fit this person, and know it might not fit that person. Use a combination of activities to promote strength, and above anything else... make sure the athlete enjoys the program.

If they don't' enjoy it, they won't do it!

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) mary

1 comment:

Amanda said...

excellent advice Mary, well said! I love your continual focus on listening to your body and that we are all individuals!
Side note-ive scoured every dicks and cant find any size 10 fuzzy crocs! im awaiting a new shippment from a website affiliated with crocs. free shipping woohoo! they said two weeks booo how will I last haha. Only color choices are black, khaki, brown, blue like you and red. Think im heading for red.
see you soon at breathe!