Monday, November 19, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

And so it begins... the most wonderful time of the year.... at least in my book. A time when we gather as families with those we see a lot, and those we don't' see quite so much.

A time when we share Turkey and Pumpkin Pie and watch the parade on TV. The eyes of children fill with wonder as they witness those massive floats swimming down the New York City Streets.

We are off to visit Pody Eggers, Curt's mother, my beloved mother in law. She's a pistol of a woman, no wonder Curt turned out the way he did. Neat, tight and trimmed at the edges. I imagine she ran a tight ship, with her husband Ernie.

I miss Curt's father, he passed away almost three years ago. It was Thanksgiving time when I first met the Eggers. A cute as a button couple in their eighties.... Curt's father had the most charming of all smiles.

Together they masterfully cooked Thanksgiving Dinner. Somehow all food arrived to the table steaming hot and delicious.

To this day I don't think Mom - in - Law has ever used any kind of artificial sweetener in her food. She makes the most delicious homemade gravy. In fact... I thought homemade stuffing was Stove Top, until I had hers.

Curt's father would carefully carve the turkey, just right. Dark meat, white meat....

They took such care in preparing the meal, for just the five of us. That care, thoughtfulness, it was all about love.

Believe it or not I adore these trips to Schoharie New York. There's no Wi -Fi, no cell phone range. Not a whole lotta anything. It's life, pure and simple. A one horse town. I will often think of Curt's Father, and his empty chair at the table. I'll run next to the river. We will wander through the woods with Luc. The air will be crisp, there might be snow, and we'll be surrounded by trees.


The silence of the weekend will be cathartic. Silence is always so powerful. Silence and stillness lend time to step back, look around and be thankful.

Thankful for one another. Thankful for the opportunity to be together. Thankful for memories of years past, and thankful for the ones yet to come.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

With much Love..... Mary

No comments: