Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Keep Moving Forward

For the Ironman Florida Race Report... Please click HERE

I am still on an Ironman high. I felt the Ironman slipping away in Atlanta... as a plane full of Ironman athletes started to dissipate. It was like we have one another a final look, the silver bracelet, the finisher hat or shirt identifying us as part of a family. We didn't need to speak but we all smiled. Regardless of what kind of day you have in the Ironman, a finish is so awesome. I was very fortunate. I was really fortunate. And I am feeling good. I don't feel like I did an Ironman 3 days ago. I am slower to move but the soreness really is just in the three toenails I am going to lose.

My elation turned into sadness this morning when I read about a 40 something woman who was pulled form the water at Ironman Florida. She is a mother and I believe her children are around the ages of 11 and 13. She is an experienced athlete yet she was pulled from the water motionless.

Dorothy Barnett Griffin, who many of you know from LifeTime Masters Swimming (the Plano, TX group), is in the hospital in Panama City. Dorothy and Mike Griffin were doing their first full Ironman triathlon Saturday in Panama City Florida. Apparently Dorothy had some issues late in the swim (unsure what precipitated the difficulties) and was pulled from the water. She was not breathing so they immediately began CPR, and there was water in her lungs. When they got her to shore they used the defibrillator and got her to the hospital. They pulled Mike from the route at about mile 56 as he had a fast swim and was unaware of any problems. Yesterday they drilled a hole in her head to release the pressure on her brain, which was swelling, and put some type of stint in it. She was placed on a ventilator and is in intensive care. Dorothy and Mike's parents and their kids and some of Dorothy's siblings are in Florida with her.

There are some updates on Slowtwitch.... the latest update is that she may be responding to stimulus. Which could be a good sign. And there I go with cautious optimism. That's the nurse in me. I have taken care of so many people who were on the edge of living or dying, you protect yourself by fearing the worst and being cautious with the best.

I thank God every single time I finish a ride and I roll into the driveway alive. I am constantly aware of the dangers of our sport and I am so very aware that one week ago today Dorothy was filled with hope and faith of her first Ironman.

It bothers me that she may not live yet the pot smoking drug inhaling person down the road will live to be a hundred.

But as Dorothy is a triathlete, I might know something about her. I would dare to think she would be happy that she was following a dream and doing something she loves.

I pray so much for her children.

After I read this I opened Luc's bedroom door and watched him sleep. I thought about the things that he has been through in his life. He sails through everything with grace. He just keeps moving forward.

And that might be what Dorothy would want us to do. Keep moving forward. Believe in the power of prayer. Believe in a miracle. Maybe, just maybe if we all allow the Ironman glory to settle.... maybe if we take all of our combined energy and prayers and send them to her.... maybe for once a good person can be saved.

I sit here this morning thanking God for every single day that I have. Every single moment. I know that many of us do. The rhyme and reason of why something like this would happen.... not our answer to know. But the ending to this story can certainly be ours to pray for.

:-) Mary

2 comments:

Cindy Jo said...

I too feel grateful every time I arrive home safely from riding! I've been in a serious accident, and I know how unexpectedly it can happen, and how precipitous the recovery can be.

Whenever I am in an Ironman race, I am filled with an overwhelming sense of peace and gratitude for being able to feel so healthy and alive, and to be among so many amazing, supportive people - friends and strangers alike.

Wes said...

Thanks for the update on Dorothy. I was shocked when the four wheeler came by with her in the back. I've been wondering and worrying about her all this time. I will pray for her full recovery.

Thank you for the opportunity to watch your magnificent run down the finisher's chute. A prom moment? Nah! An inspiration to those of us that will come after you.

Congratulations!!!