Friday, November 2, 2007

It's the day before the Ironman. Bike is checked. Gear bags checked. All that is left is to put up my feet, eat, drink and wait. I am looking forward to a good night of sleep tonight. I will have no issue with getting sleep the night before the Ironman. I am a nurse for God's sakes, we can sleep anywhere.

Thank you all for the overwhelmingly kind emails. Especially about my "relax with what is" post. That apparently hit home for a lot of us and it is comforting to know I am not alone. Please know that you are not alone either. We feel like such freaks sometimes with these thoughts about our bodies… knowing there are many of you who share this same issue…. we feel less alone and less freakish…. till we sign up for the Ironman…. again.


I keep thinking how I know no one here except my boys…. and then I read through these incredibly kind emails from so many of you whom I don't know. And I know I will not be alone tomorrow. The cheers in Lake Placid come from the sides of the road; tomorrow the cheers will come from the vibes that I pick up. I know they are being sent and I thank you so very much for that support.

I am so glad the boys came with me... I had thought about not burdening them with another Ironman and coming alone. Then I decided we could at least have a beach themed family vacation. They've spent hours in the sand and swimming in the ocean. I think it has been just what Curt has needed. He's been running in his bare feet on the sand and swimming in the salt water. I think it has been so long since he has been to the Ocean that he forgot how much he loved it.
From our hotel balcony we can watch the sunrise and the sunset. We can sleep with the door cracked open and as we sleep listen to the waves. And as I am resting for the Ironman I can watch from the balcony as Luc plays his heart out. It's awesome.

I've gotten some strange looks while wearing my "Team Eggers" suit. But that's okay with me. Give me those looks again while I run in my running skirt... that's okay with me. There are a lot of game faces out here, and I am the annoying girl who will smile at you and bid you "Good Morning" on your bike or as you run each day. Call me a whacko but I believe spreading good will to those around me. We all benefit from a little kindness.

I am here to smile. I am here to have fun while taking aim at a goal. I know I am ready but there is no sense in walking around with the grumble bunny sitting on your shoulder.

Thank you for your kindness, thank you for your support, and if you are racing may God Speed, protect and keep everyone safe. Here is to a safe and beautiful race tomorrow everyone!

Thank you.

:-) Mary

No comments: