Friday, November 9, 2007

When Can I Run?

Think that's a little too soon to even think about 6 days after an Ironman? Well you are as surprised as I am for thinking it and even asking it. When can I run? In my life I don't think I have ever wanted to run more than anything on this earth.

And I blame Coach T for that.


So who IS this Coach T, you might have been asking? People sure have been asking me. Who is this mystery coach who guided me to pass 200 runners at Ironman Florida and run a perfect marathon? Did I say that? Pass 200 runners and run a perfect marathon? Now I didn't run a 3:30 or anything but I ran well. Did I say that? ME? Mary Eggers?

I don't think I have ever passed 200 runners in an entire season. So please forgive me if I am sounding like I am sounding conceited. Forgive me because I am hopeful and excited about 2008.


But enough about that, who is this Coach T? He's local triathlete Trevor Syversen. Father, husband, employee and one hell of a triathlete. And one hell of a coach.


I could go through all of Coach T's certifications and qualifications but we know anyone in the world can get a certification. What Coach T did for me was 14 weeks of focus. Pace, running and focus.

He made me run. for 14 days in a row I ran. And I continued to run 6 days a week after that. He made me run at specific paces. He didn't make me run long. In fact I think my longest run was 2:30. But it was a focused run.


Coach T has a mind for coaching. He knows how to blend it, he knows how to build a program. He knows how the principles of overload, frequency and repetition apply to people individually. He showed up to the track with a stopwatch on my 5K time trial day.

He knows how to take one to the edge without stepping over it. He knows how to make you believe in you. You learn to believe in you during those workouts that take you right up to that edge.


There's nothing fancy about his program, but it is built for you. Sure I could go ahead and post my training.... but that would do you no good. My plan and your plan should be different. My pan and your plan will be different. You will have weeks of repetition. But trust me in the middle of 20+ hour training weeks, knowing what's coming on Tuesday is a relief. You get to know your abilities, your potential. You learn that repetition is your friend.

Without holding your hand all the time, Coach T helps you to believe in yourself. I knew lining up for Ironman Florida that I had already done the race. It wasn't as if I was going to reach to some pace I had never done before. I had the files, I had the data. It was data that was based on my own results. There would be nothing new on race day.

Coach T helped me to be tired and keep going. He structured my training so hard days were hard and easy days were easy. He helped me set goals and we reviewed them.

He knew when I came across the 13.1 mile timing mat at IMFL that I could be in just under 11:00. He knew that by analyzing my bike split.

If you are a Western New York athlete and you are serious about taking your performance to the next level.... Trevor Syversen is your man. He is experienced. He understands the principles of training. His philosophy is simple. He offers one plan.

And at the same time he sets the expectations high. Very high. And you meet them. That's it ;-)

Check Coach T out for yourself here. He says the site isn't done yet and I am not even sure if he is officially open for business. But that's too bad.... you need to check him out. I promise you won't be disappointed.

And I get to run next Sunday :-)

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) mary

No comments: