Saturday, November 10, 2007

Thank You Veterans

Tonight we were at the mall. You know it's the off-season when you see the Eggers' Family hanging around at Dick's Sporting Goods playing basketball.

As we were walking through the rest of the mall a man caught my eye. He was driving a Lark, one of those handicapped scooters. He had one leg and a prosthetic leg. He was wearing a United States Marine Corps Hat. He was also wearing a United States Marine Corps Coat. People were kind to move out of his way. Our eyes met for a brief second and I smiled.

What people, including myself were failing to say was thank you.

Judging from this man's age, and being that he was a United States Marine... he likely has seen things I couldn't imagine in my worst nightmare. Because of him... I could walk through the mall. I can chase an Ironman dream. Because of him and all of the others who serve our country.... I have so much to be grateful of.

One year ago tonight my Grandfather died. His name was Stephen and he was a Navy man. At our family gethering in 2005 at Christmas Time.... he spoke about the war. My Grandfather had never spoken about the war.

Grandad served on a mine sweeper in the Navy. He served with the Sullivan brothers. Know what a min sweeper does? Sweeps the mines in the water. How'd you like that job? He served in the Battle of Normandy and he does not speak about that.

All my life I wanted to be in the Navy. I almost got there too. I got to the point where I was to ship out. I got to that morning before the Navy physician, who had previously medically cleared me, determined that my cardiac history would prevent me from completing basic training.

To say that I was absolutely devastated would be an understatement. To say that I was completely ashamed to even look at my Grandfather would be an understatement as well. Funny thing was that he understood. I almost think he was glad not to see his Granddaughter go to the Navy.

12 Years and four Ironmans later I believe that the Navy missed out on one hell of a sailor.

I have a special place in my heart for everyone in the United States Military. It may piss people off to know this about me but I believe in this war. I believe in it 300%. why? because I know people who are there who relay to me the truth.

Your support of this war is individual and I respect that. And this is not a story of why I think you should or should not agree with me.

Last year at my Grandfather's funeral he received full military honors. I will never forget my son Luc looking up at the Navy soldiers who stood at attention at my Grandfather's casket. When they raised their hands in salute my son walked over, stood next to one of them, and saluted as well. He will never know the impact of that moment. Never.

But I do. I understand what these soldiers went through. I understand to a degree I should say. I have never been in war, I have never been in that kind of environment. These men and women risk their lives defending our freedom and I am so proud and honored to be able to say thank you to all of them.... this Veteran's Day especially.

Whenever I am traveling, especially through Atlanta I see many ARMY soldiers walking through the airport. I try to say a simple thank you to as many of them as I can. Whether or not I believe in this war I believe in showing our military respect and I believe each and every one of us should at least say thank you.

They are placed into situations we can not even imagine. They step into scenes of life that no amount of basic training or classwork can truly prepare them for. They are forced to make split second decisions based upon orders from their superiors while staring at the literal eyes of the most evil people on the face of this earth. They are required to keep their wits about them when in a moment of war, face to face with someone who would not only prefer to pull their eyes out, but would love more than anything to chop off the heads of their children as well. And in those situations some idiotic reporter is not far away just waiting for them to make a mistake. As blood runs down their face they have to act swiftly against an enemy. With the hope that the reporter doesn't skew the picture they have just taken. Because the soldier did what he did to protect them. Or someone else.

So when you come face to face with a Veteran this week, or any week, don't take the easy route. The easy route is to look away and pretend nothing exists. Step into reality and please look this soldier of the United States of America in the eyes. Thank them for their service to our country.

Regardless if you agree with the war, you can have the decency to look a soldier in the eye and say thank you. You will not ever know how much that will mean to them.

So here's to all Veterans, past and present and the ones who shall join tomorrow. I raise my glass in a toast to all of you. Especially you Granddad. For volunteering to serve in the Unites States Military. For doing whatever it is that you had to do for the victory. For standing in the line of danger so I could have the life that I lead now.

With gratitude, humility and honor, I say to you....

THANK YOU.

1 comment:

Cindy Jo said...

I'm with you 100% girl. We are the only family in our neighborhood that flies an American flag. And my son has approached soldiers many times in airports, etc. and told them "thank you for protecting America" (he's nine). It is pretty amazing to see my kid do that - I'm very proud of him. He was an "army guy" for Halloween three years straight. Oh yeah, he was born on the 4th of July!