Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Dream Team

If you know me and Kelly B., you know we are great friends. I call it more like a sisterhood that began way back in 2002... the last time I ever beat Kelly B in a race.

We had just done Ironman Lake Placid 2002 and I bombed it, she nailed it and qualified for Hawaii. 5 weeks later we toed the line against each other at the Hamlin Beach Triathlon. The Who's Who of Western New York triathletes always went there.


Kelly exited the water 2 min in front of me, I out biked her by four, and she came in off the bike ready to erase my 2:00 lead. And she nearly did. I only beat her by a close 29 seconds and believe me not only was I running scared, I was running for my life. I remember we hugged at the finish line.... and that's really where our friendship began.

In 2003 we spent hours and hours of training together. Miles and miles of heat, Popsicles, and running.

Once we met in Mendon Ponds Park. I drove over, she rode her bike. While we were executing a 20 mile run she stored her bike in my car. After 10 miles we stopped back at the car. While she ran to the bathroom I restocked our nutrition. And then locked my keys in the car.

We thought quick and realized Curt's office was only about 10 miles away. We ran to his office, nearly dying of dehydration, and then layed in the grass outside his office window, half naked and exhausted before he came out to rescue us.

We've ridden in a lot of rainstorms. We've ridden in 110 degree heat. We even spent a week training with Heidi Grimm. God that was the hardest week of our lives.

On one particular day we rode long.... I can't even remember how long. It was Tarzan hot out. When we got back I went home and took a nap while Kelly ran the first part of the run with Heidi. After my nap I came back and ran the second part with her.

We breathed such a sigh of relief when Heidi finally left town, only to be told by her brother that she had decided to stay 2 extra days and we were to be at the park at 8am!

And the bastard wasn't kidding.

Actually, Hamlin wasn't the last time I beat Kelly. Ironman Lake Placid 2003 was. Kelly did IMLP 02, went to Hawaii and was back for a third IM in 18 months. Our plan was simple, she'd lead out of the water, I would catch her on the bike, she'd stay with me and then we'd run together. Kelly would even wear these neon green bike shorts so I could find her.

I remember seeing those shorts way ahead of me, and they slowly got closer. It was IMLP 2003 and it was hailing. We had trained in it and we were prepared for it. I finally caught her. She told me she wasn't feeling great and to go.

"We trained in this!" I shouted at her..... "Come on!!!"

"GO" she shouted back. I felt like I was leaving a fallen comrade. I didn't want to go.
But I knew she'd be mad if I didn't. I had to listen to my team mate.


On the run we'd see one another on the out and backs. She told me she was having stomach issues but she was still smiling. Later I learned she was having bad stomach issues and when she saw me... she would put on a good face because she did not want me to worry.

That was the last time I got her ;-)

Kelly has done about 7 Ironmans and even though she's nailed an 11:05 at IMLP (with three flat tires) she has not hit her peak. Her 1/2 Ironman time is low 4:40's and we've traveled to some great races together.

Kelly moved to Colorado this year, changed jobs and now the dust has settled. And she's found Coach T. So now we are teammates, and there is no one I would rather have on my team than Kelly B. More than I want to break 11 hours again... I want Kelly to nail her eighth Ironman. I want her to train right, train with a plan, and train with a purpose.

Now she's got the right leader. No pressure Coach... but you see Kelly has never fully had a plan. She's a distance natural with a whole lotta talent. She's a diamond in the rough. Her liability is her passion for endurance.

It is a misconception that when Kelly and I train together it is a competitive moshing of abilities and wanting to kill one another. Actually... we are the opposite. I think we can chat for 100 miles and I think we can chat for 100 miles about Luc Van Lierde, Brian Rhodes and our number one .... Gordo Byrn. You have to scold us to go faster. Instead of coffee.... we ride or run.

If we were neck and neck at Ironman lake Placid and there was only one of us who was allowed to cross the finish line at 10:59.59..... we'd both miss it because we would want the other to do it first.

You don't find friends like that often.

This week I begin 2 weeks of structured active recovery... and only because I stalked Coach T so much he threw in the towel. :-) Then on December 3rd I officially begin the journey to Ironman Lake Placid. Kelly B will be in Colorado... but she'll be making the same journey (at altitude!!!) and we will get to race together on a really great day in our favorite place on earth. Lake Placid.

I have a busy 6 months coming up with a lot on the plate. The light at the end of the tunnel is Placid. The prize through all of the hard work.... physical.... career..... school..... makes everything I am about to endure worth it.

Thanks for stopping by.


:-) mary

1 comment:

Cindy Jo said...

I look forward to following your progress and watching you both rock in LP!